Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy4dolphins

Bread Recipee

HI,

I've tried making my own white bread in the oven yesterday and something went wrong. When it came out it was cooked on the top and burnt on teh bottom and edges and un cooked in the middle. I jsut want to have a pb and j sandwhich.

I"ve bought the Kinickinick bread, but wanted to learn how to do it my self. Does anyone have a good workable reciepee?

Nicole

Dolphin Joy,

Nicole

gluten intolerant/ 2005

dd gluten intolerant/ 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Nicole,

How do you feel about using a mix? The Gluten Free Pantry's French Bread Mix is super easy to make, and tastes and smells like real bread!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

A lot of pans are dark grey nowadays (rather than the light gray they were 15 years ago), which holds in more heat. If I'm using a dark pan for something, I bring the temperature down a notch (325 rather than 350 for example) and then bake it longer. It seems to work for me. Also, was your oven rack in the middle? Sometimes if the rack is too low, you'll get a burnt bottom because that part is too close to the heat.

With a done top, a burnt bottom and undone in the middle, I'd bring the temp down a notch and cook it longer to compensate for the lower temperature. That may give the inside time to to cook to catch up with the outside .

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

With a done top, a burnt bottom and undone in the middle, I'd bring the temp down a notch and cook it longer to compensate for the lower temperature. That may give the inside time to to cook to catch up with the outside .

Nancy

I sometimes throw a piece of foil over the top if the crust is getting too dark.

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

HI,

I've tried making my own white bread in the oven yesterday and something went wrong. When it came out it was cooked on the top and burnt on teh bottom and edges and un cooked in the middle. I jsut want to have a pb and j sandwhich.

I"ve bought the Kinickinick bread, but wanted to learn how to do it my self. Does anyone have a good workable reciepee?

Nicole

Dear happy,

I suggest using Anna's bread mix. I have had success with baking it in both in glass pans and metal pans and it comes out beautiful! It also tastes like real bread and looks like it, except of course gluten-free bread doesn't rise as high as regular bread does. Every other bread or mix I have tried has been disgusting. The Bob's Red Mills bread went right into the garbage disposal! Try Anna's.....I think you will be pleasantly surprised. In her directions, she says to bake only about 15 minutes before covering with foil and baking the rest of the way covered.

Sharon

BabySnooks

Diagnosed with celiac disease July 8, 2005 by endoscopy and colonoscopy.

Rediagnosed with Celiac Sprue August, 2006 with positive duodenal and small bowel biopsies.

One other suggestion:

You could try decreasing your oven temp 25 degrees or so, too. It might be that your oven cooks a little hotter than the test ovens they developed their directions for - which would contribute to the "burned on the outside, raw on the inside" problem.

Betsy