Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stagiary

Still Sick On gluten-free Diet

Before going gluten free, I experienced fatigue, brain fog, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, abdominal pain, and occassional dizziness. I started the gluten free diet four months ago. At my doctor's request, I began a "gluten challenge," which lasted only two weeks because my symptoms of fatigue and brain fog were so severe. I continued working out until the bitter end of the gluten challenge.

Now, I have been gluten-free for six weeks. I have my mind back, but I am still tired, weak, and have diarrhea most of the time. I am obsessive about keeping the diet, so I do not think that I am consuming hidden glutens. Since I went gluten-free, I have dropped steadily from 135 to 127 pounds. It is only a few pounds, but it does not feel healthy. I can no longer workout doing anything more than a walk without fealing nausated or dizzy.

Do you have suggestions based upon experience about what may be causing this and how I can get rid of it?

I want to give myself every chance of getting all the way better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You sound just like me. Do a search for adrenal fatigue/burnout and see if the symptoms fit. Our bodies have struggled with constant inflammation from gluten for so long that they can get tired. What really made me want to tell you about this is that you mentioned continuing to work out. When our bodies are stressed anyway and we push them to do strenuous workouts, it's really hard on the adrenals. If you're 100% sure your gluten-free, then I'd start looking for what else is contributing. If adrenal fatigue/burnout is a fit, then read Tired of Being Tired by Jesse Lynn Hanley, MD.

Also, you might want to keep a food diary to see if you have any other dietary sensitivities.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06