Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

connole1056

Food For Life Bread

Hi, I did a search and could not find anything on the board relating to this but cannot believe I am the only one with this problem! I have been buying Food for Life bread for years. My daughter likes the white rice bread. Until this past summer we had very little problem with it. However, since June or July of this year it has been crumbling and falling apart every time I have made a sandwich out of it. At first I thought the problem may have been caused by the bread having thawed and being refrozen at the store, as I know this can cause bread to crumble. However, this cannot be the case every time I have bought bread ALL summer long, unless I have very bad luck. So I am now wondering if anyone has heard anything about a problem with Food For Life bread. My daughter has been complaining about her school lunches because it is at the point where she cannot even eat her sandwiches because she is unable to pick up the bread without it falling to pieces! This has never happened with this bread before, although we have had problems with other brands crumbling. She is in 7th grade and has been eating Food for Life at school since kindergarten without a problem. I know I can make her lettuce wraps and give her luncheon meat in other ways, but she does not want to look like a "freak" and just wants her meat between two slices of bread like everyone else in the cafeteria! I really cannot toast the bread because it crumbles in the toaster-and she feels like a "freak" eating her sandwich on toast anyway. She really wants to be as much like the other kids as she can while still being a celiac.

So, did I miss something about this brand changing or something? I have not noticed anything on label, but am now wondering if Food for Life has changed its formuls/recipe. My daughter absolutely loves the taste of this bread. She has tried others and simply does not like their taste so this has been very hard for her. Has anyone else had this problem? If yes, did you resolve it?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We buy either food for life or enjoy life if I don't make my own. I haven't had a problem with the rice almond one. The white or brown rice one would have problems with the top part coming off. Is that what kind you buy? Have you tried the almond rice one?

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Sorry, I can't give you any specific advice on the bread itself, as I can't eat any bread at all. But why don't you contact the company that makes the bread? Either by calling the number on the package (if there is a number), or looking it up on the Internet and e-mailing them. If nobody complains about this problem, they won't know.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not tried that brand, but a lot of brands I did try crumbled so bad I threw them out. And they tasted terrible too.

I have found TWO brands that don't crumble: GFBreadbasket.com and EnerG.com.

I like the taste of the GFBreadbasket.com breads best - the EnerG can be pretty dry. The GFBreadbasket breads really are GREAT. Taste like the real thing, don't crumble, toast fairly well and smell good. The crust can crumble a little bit on the Mock Rye, but not too bad. The Country Sandwich (white) is what you could try for your daughter. Even looks like the real thing. You know they're ok if I eat them: I am the PICKIEST eater around and have not yet found a gluten-free cookie or brownie or cake I like-so I just don't do that kind of food. But got to have my gluten-free BB bread!

Order from them at www.gfbreadbasket.com.

Franceen

Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success

Gluten-free since Dec 2005

Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months

No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

Thank you. Part of the problem is the top crust coming off, and that was fine. However, this summer on every loaf of bread I bought the entire piece of bread crumbled! It is odd because we never had this problem before (with this brand).

I never heard of gluten-free Breadbasket. My daughter loathes almost everything from EnerG though. Everything but the pretzels from that company tastes like cardboard and goes stale much more quickly than other brands.

I was going to talk to a person from the company but wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem first. We buy the white rice bread, so I do not know about the other flavors.

Thanks again!