Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonesy

Need Feedback On Reactions To Gluten

:unsure: On Sept. 24 I went to the church picnic, and ate from the pot luck buffet for the 1st time

since my dx 15 months ago. It was a big mistake, even tho' I chose my foods very carefully

(I thought). I have had several gluten incidents over the past 15 months, but nothing severe,

so that made me confident that I wouldn't get sick even if I got some gluten.

The next day, I knew I had eaten gluten. Then each day I developed symptoms I had never

experienced before, but were consistent with what I've read from others on the forum.

In my case, I don't get the Big D. Mine is the Big C, which gets worse if I eat gluten.

The thing that puzzled me was that I developed a fever of 101.8 on the 3rd day (Ibuprofen took it away). The next evening my temp went to 99.2 (Ibuprofen to the rescue again). No more fever after that.

I hadn't heard of fever connected with a gluten incident. Yesterday, I developed a blood blister

on my tongue (??!!) and wondered if it was from poisons in my system, or perhaps I bit my tongue

without realizing it.

After all other symptoms subsided (still have the brain fog), I'm left feeling weak and washed out.

It feels a lot like low blood sugar which I get occasionally, only it doesn't go away when I eat

(O.J. usually brings the blood sugar back to normal for me)

Since I've never before experienced such a severe reaction, I'm left wondering if perhaps there was

also something else going on in my body at the same time (a little virus or bacteria). And I

am interested in having some feedback on this.

I can tell you this much. I will never again eat from a pot luck buffet! I learned my lesson.

I'm happy to report that I'm feeling ever so much better :D except for the weakness. :angry:

Regards,

Maryellen

diagnosed June 14, 2005 at the age of 77

blood test and biopsy

Proud to be an American

Rom 8:28- And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My guess is that along with the gluten you also got a bug from the potluck. Consider it a double whammy! I no longer take my chances even with something that is naturally gluten-free (like fruit). I never know if the surface they cut the fruit on had bread crumbs on it (yes, I am that sensitive). Hope you feel better soon!

Hez

:(

My guess is that along with the gluten you also got a bug from the potluck. Consider it a double whammy! I no longer take my chances even with something that is naturally gluten-free (like fruit). I never know if the surface they cut the fruit on had bread crumbs on it (yes, I am that sensitive). Hope you feel better soon!

Hez

:o Hez, what a cute avatar!

I never thought about fruit etc. being a problem, but what you point out is very enlightening.

Thanks,

Maryellen

diagnosed June 14, 2005 at the age of 77

blood test and biopsy

Proud to be an American

Rom 8:28- And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.