Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmandaD

Legume Intolerance

Hi guys - I go for real "allergy" testing tomorrow at the hospital with a pediatric allergist. I'm 30, go figure.

Anyways...first - do any of you have a legume intolerance? What happens to you/your symptoms? I'm thinking I have some kind of issue because bean flour, garfava flour, etc...it all seems to give me loose bowels? Coffee does it to me too - and I don't sit well with soy flour. It's a b#$%!

Also - what else should I have them test me for? I'm kind of nervous!

Amanda

Positive TTG 9/05

Positive endoscopy 9/05

Doing well with "Sprue"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Amanda,

I have a legume intolerance. I was tested by an allergist last spring (skin prick), and was found to be negative to all the foods he tested me for.

The reaction I get from legumes depends on the food--soy is the worst. I get gas, severe cramps that lead to D. Beans, peas, peanuts, and chick peas give me lower abdominal cramping, stomachache, and gas.

Recently, I tried some roasted nuts (almonds, pecans and cashews). They were roasted in peanut oil, and even that gave me terrible gas--the kind where you hate to be around anyone :ph34r: ! I also woke up the next morning with a backache--which is unusual for me. I asked Ursula about it, and she said that yes, even the oils can cause the exact reaction I got, so we need to stay away from all forms of the legume. Have you checked out Ursula's signature? There is an excellent link there to lectins.

I seem to have problems with almost every form of plant protein there is. Very strange.

They usually have a ton of allergens they test you for--they did mine over 2 appts. so as not to induce a reaction (potentially). Try not to be nervous--it's not a big deal--I hardly felt the little pin pricks.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow with your testing. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Interesting...I seam to only really notice gluteny-like symptoms when I eat bean stuff - and I also noticed that I had had guar gum in something last night and I think that's derived from beans...anyways...I had some kind of issue this morning from all the bean stuff - so I swear that's what it is.

My stomach p#$$es me off :D ...

Amanda

Positive TTG 9/05

Positive endoscopy 9/05

Doing well with "Sprue"