This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Several Questions

maribeth

maribeth Apprentice

Hi everyone, haven't been on the board for awhile as I had puter problems. I started the gluten free diet a couple of weeks ago and altho my system is adjusting it's been a challenge to find out what has gluten in it. Those hidden glutens!!! I find I"m hungry more and eat more but have lost some weight which is good as I had gained a few LOL I'm wondering if maltodextrin is something we can have. I noticed on the Kraft peanut butter jar that there is that in it. Is there a certain p. butter to eat? I also read in one of the posts that sensodyne toothpaste has gluten in it. I don't see it on the tube so where would I find info about that. I work in the food industry and touch products with gluten in them daily. Does touching gluten give you a reaction? I really don't find a problem but find I'm moody but that could be form the sleep deprivation altho I am sleeping a little better. Concerning my stools. I have very light colored stools. Is that from the diet I'm on now or am I low in iron. I have started taking a b12 vitamin. Sorry for all the questions. I still haven't heard from my dr concerning the endoscopy so have given up and started the gluten free diet as my blood tests were positive. What does everyone eat for lunch? I have no problem with breaky and supper and generally bring leftovers for lunch. Thanks for any help. Take care and hugs Beth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I just wrote a long response, it went away. <_< so this will be brief.

Maltodextrin in the US is from corn, but not the same for Canada.

Kraft is a product that will always list wheat.

Toothpaste, Crest is always a good option.

Colored stools: I have found it refects what you eat

Around wheat all day: wash you hands often and don't put your hands in your mouth

Poss Blood test: Yeah, join the club. :)

Welcome to the club....... :):):)

almostnrn Explorer

Wash those hands and keep them away from your mouth. The same goes for pens. Tough habits to break I know. Also make sure if you are handling regular foods, especially flours, that you change your clothes as soon as you get home. It could be a hidden source of CC. For lunch, I usually take leftovers to work. If I don't have any I will take a Pad Thai soup (they are a lot like ramen) and some fruit and veggies. I try to make a big pot of something towards the beginning of the week that will at least hold me out for a couple of days because I"m sure you have started to find out, preparing a gluten-free meal takes a little longer. That for me is not a good thing since I always seem to be running late :rolleyes: . Hidden glutens....its insane isn't it?! I mean really, why do we need to put wheat into EVERYTHING, its enough to drive you crazy. Good luck and welcome back!

Guest cassidy

Welcome. On the middle of the main page (celiac.com) there is an index and a listing called safe and forbidden foods - I'll try to give you a link https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12. I highly recommend reading around in this section. Everyone here will be happy to answer questions, but then you have wait for a reply. There is lots of good info to print out and it may answer some questions you didn't realize you had. I printed that list and keep it in my purse so I have it in the grocery store.

Not sure about the toothpaste, you can try searching for it on this website and see if there is a thread on it. My husband now uses Crest sensitive because it is ok and I didn't want him to get me sick after he brushed his teeth.

Lunch is a tough one. I won't eat Amy's frozen meals because they have gotten me sick one to many times. I will eat cedar lane - they have a layered enchilada pie that is good. Glutino has a mac and cheese frozen meal that is also pretty good. I blot the grease off and then it tastes ok, but not wonderful. I try to cook a big meal like lasagna on the weekends and freeze it in meal-sized portions but I don't always get to it.

I would be very careful about touching your mouth at work. Gluten isn't a germ so it isn't killed by things lilke purell, so please don't think you can just use hand sanitizer and be fine. When I worked in the food industry my hands always felt gross from clearing plates and handling money so I always wash my hands before eating anyway.

maribeth Apprentice

Thanks to everyone for their help. It's trial and error I guess until I know what's what. I know I still get gluten in my diet by the way I feel some days esp the mood probably cause I don't always sleep good. I have more energy and the acid reflux and heartburn are pretty well gone. I have ck'd out the safe and non safe food list and that's a good idea to print it out and put a copy in your purse. Thanks again. Beth

Archived