Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaycee

Funny Scent In Nose

I'm not sure where this belongs, but on occassions, but not often I seem to get this funny scent in my nose. It is not nasty or anything, but I just want to know what might cause it.

I don't think it would be gluten, but am wondering whether it could be from soy, as I am eating a bit more of that in small amounts.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I doubt this will be helpful, but before I found out gluten was my problem, I was having daily migraines and there were a couple of times I had a scent hallucination before a migraine came on. One morning I was CONVINCED there was stewed beef in the kitchen, but no, the only food out was cereal.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about 'Olfactory Aura'. I think the smell thing can happen prior to Migraines, Epileptic Seizures it more commonly it can be from sinus or nasal infections.

This may be far off from what you are experiencing, but my homeopathic doc said this could sometimes be caused by having too many heavy metals in your body. May be something to think about if you eat a lot of fish, especially canned tuna, or are exposed through drinking water, etc. I had the same trouble and have been taking selenium daily for the past year and no longer have this problem.

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

silly question, but what is smell? I have constant smell of smoke (the only word I can use to describe it). Keep in mind it's my husband who has celiac and not me; and I don't have sinus problems; had smoke smell on and off for a few years now and do not have seizure problems..... I too wondered where this was coming from.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Is it like a musty/moldy smell? I had that when I was on prednisone and discovered that I had a huge yeast overgrowth.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I've been getting this lately too. I don't know about you guys, but I smell something fruity... like one of those blueberry scented markers. I have migraines and have had seizures in the past but haven't been getting them along with the scent...