This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dumpling Help Pls

MikeM

MikeM Newbie

I just tried making chicken and dumplings with the following recipe but the dumplings came out kinda stiff and chewy. :(

Does anyone have an suggestions on what I can do to this recipe to make them "fluffier"? Should I just forget the scratch method and get some gluten-free All Purpose Baking Mix? Any suggestions would help. I was diagnosed this summer and I'm just starting into the winter comfort foods for the first time. Thanks.

Here's the recipe I used:

Gluten Free Dumplings

Ingredients

2/3 c. flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose)

about 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum

1 egg or enough whites for 1 egg

parsley, finely chopped

salt, fresh ground pepper

water (depending what flour you use, the amount will vary)

Method:

whisk together egg and herbs/spices.

mix xanthan gum and flour together separately , then add; adding water to create a dough consistency.

using a spoon, scoop small balls of dough, and place in boiling water. boil for about 8 minutes (all dumplings should be at the top of the pot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

Try Bette Hagman's flour mix. I make dumplings without eggs and they're fairly light - not quite what white flour was, but still good. Her mix is: 3 C Rice flour (I always use brown), 1 C Potato starch, 1/2 C Tapioca starch and I add 2-1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum. (Sift together 3 times before using and store in the refrigerator.) She also has a "Feather lite" mix, but I don't know the amounts off the top of my head since I don't use it.

My guess would be that the Bob's all-purpose flour is just a little too heavy - I wouldn't use it for a recipe like this.

Good luck!

eKatherine Rookie

Add a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon and a quarter of baking powder to that recipe and they'll be super fluffy and tender.

lonewolf Collaborator
Add a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon and a quarter of baking powder to that recipe and they'll be super fluffy and tender.

Oooh, you are right on. I didn't even look past the flour. Of course you can't make dumplings without butter (shortening if you're casein free) and baking powder.

Archived