Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaCat

Questions About My Tests......

I have been seeing a Naturopath for approx. 5 months now. I have been tested for food sensitivities and also had a GI panel done. I do not know much about Celiacs, but started to look into in when my Gliadin came back positive (34). My Naturopath doesn't think at this point that I am dealing with Celiacs, because in his opinion, that number is rather low. And.............my food sensitivity test (blood) showed Gliadin, Wheat in the low range (there are 4 categories: no reaction, low, moderate, high). He said he usually sees those 2 things much higher with Celiacs. In fact, none of the other grains that have gluten were moderate or high either - all were either in no reaction zone or low.

I am just looking for a second opinion here to be on the safe side. I have struggled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, bloating, brain fog for 25 years (I am 40) and chronic constipation all my life, and I want to cover all the bases to get well.

FYI: I did eliminate wheat from my diet for approx. 4 months and only had oats occasionally (I checked labels extensively and did much reading on-line to know what to look for re: gluten). I've seen some improvement in my health, but it could be due to other things we have been working on - I don't know.

How do you know for sure that you have Celiacs? I've read about biopsies etc. on this board a little, but really am quite clueless. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you & God Bless,

~Shelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I highly recommend you read Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic by Dr. Peter Green and Rory Jones:

https://www.celiac.com/catalog/product_info...products_id=477 It is very thorough and informative about Celiac Disease, the symptoms and health issues associated with it, testing, diet, etc. You should be able to find it at your local library.

Michelle

Shelly, a biopsy would be quite useless at this point (because of eating nearly gluten-free for a while), as would more blood testing (same reason). If you could afford it, I would suggest you get tested through Enterolab, their tests will be accurate up to a year of being gluten-free. If you get the full panel, you'd also know if you have the genes for either celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (same treatment either way, which is the gluten-free diet).

Also, if you really want to know if the diet helps, you'd have to try going completely gluten-free, not just wheat-free. Why don't you give it a try? It can't possibly hurt, and might just help.

You'd have to make sure you're completely gluten-free, though. Go through your personal care products (shampoo, conditioner, lipstick, lotion, soap etc.) and replace any that contain gluten (wheat germ oil, barley extract, oat bran). Also, you'd need to buy a new toaster, as it isn't possible to clean your old toaster well enough to be safe. The same goes for plastic colanders, wooden cutting boards, wooden cooking spoons and scratched non-stick cookware.

What is your naturopaths normal range for the gliadin antibodies?

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------