Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kasia

Itching

Hi,

I've been diagnosed about 4 months now & am doing fine, but I have one query that's really bugging me.

Pre diagnosis I was very ill & my symptoms were severe (projectile vomiting, d, big weight loss, exhaustion). I had the same type of symptoms for about the first 6 weeks gluten-free, but not as harsh. Since then I have been absolutely fine, except for on the occasions when I think I've had gluten by mistake I get itching & my eyes water.

Do you think that this is now my gluten reaction? As I'm quite new to it all, it's still a learning curve, but if I have no symptoms then I'm having difficulty ensuring I'm gluten free. I know that the itching did occur after holy wafer (not thinking there), & after a supposedly gluten-free oat flapjack (so I guess I can't have oats yet).

I'm not complaining - there are so many of you with terribly severe reactions that I count myself lucky. I'd just like to know I'm getting it right.

If this is my gluten reaction, will it become worse the longer I am gluten-free, as my body becomes more sensitive to gluten?

Thanks very much

Kate

Itching & scratching again after eating chocolate with a filling I didn't check

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, it's certainly a "sign" for me. It's not my only reaction, but when I have wheat (specifically) - I become extremely itchy. Of course, the same thing happens to me with dairy.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

perhaps you are also allergic to it.

Gluten-free, Vegan

Hi,

Am also newish here and on a learning curve. I also get really itchy.... sometimes when I eat stuff with gluten. Have also worked out that when I cheat (I am still at the stage of trying to convince myself I really have this - no testing available here - and am not always very compliant) I cough a lot... dry cough - even for the next day or two... I always thought that was food related...

Interesting the things we learn...

Sally

perhaps you are also allergic to it.

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.