Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turtle99

Herbs For Celiacs

:unsure:

Hello all,

Does anyone know if camomille is safe for celiacs?

Is there any info somewhere that lists which herbs that could be reactive for gluten intolerant individuals?

I'm getting more and more scared about what I can touch or eat. Please help!

"Turtle99"

gluten-free since may02/05

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would think that that pure hebs with no additives should be fine as long as they aren't derived from wheat, barely, rye or oats.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Pure herbs are gluten-free, although some herbal teas have barley added.

richard

Thanks all, for your replies. I discovered that those that are intolerant to wheat are also intolerable to Bromelain. And sure enough, I cannot handle taking Bromelain. So I was thinking that perhaps there are other plants/herbs that give off the same reaction.

"Turtle99"

gluten-free since may02/05

Thanks all, for your replies. I discovered that those that are intolerant to wheat are also intolerable to Bromelain. And sure enough, I cannot handle taking Bromelain. So I was thinking that perhaps there are other plants/herbs that give off the same reaction.
That is interesting. I've never heard that before.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Molecularly, I have no idea why that would be. Bromelain is a type of enzyme, primarily found in pineapple. These enzymes break down some proteins, but I can't quite understand why someone would say that celiacs would react to them. Bromelain is used in many situtions - as a digestive aid and anti-inflammatory primarily.

You may have heard this from some one who based this information on the potential for allergic cross reactivity, for those allergic to pineapples but it is important to note that the difference in the metabolic processes between the two (allergic response and celiac immune response) and there are definitely degrees of sensitivity in cross reactivity to traditional allergic responses.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Pure herbs are gluten-free, although some herbal teas have barley added.

richard

Some also have toasted wheat germ. Read the labels and you'll be fine.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Thanks all, for your replies. I discovered that those that are intolerant to wheat are also intolerable to Bromelain. And sure enough, I cannot handle taking Bromelain. ....

I've long used meat tenderizers on sirloin steak & pork chops. They contain either papain (from papya fruit) or bromelain as the enzymes that break down the muscle (protein). To be effective, you have to get that stuff in the meat by piercing it with a fork. It's hard to find tenderizer that isn't mostly salt though. Adolphs made one with potato starch as a base instead of salt, but I haven't seen it in a long time & it's not on their website. Their's doesn't contain MSG, if that's a concern for anyone.

Another use for tenderizers is insect stings. The poison is a type of protein. Need to get it on there pretty fast for best results.

Meat Tenderizer and Vinegar for Stings: http://www.healthcentral.com/peoplespharmacy/408/20280.html

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa