This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin Deficiencies?

angel42

angel42 Enthusiast

Hi,

This weekend I went to a local store that specializes in gluten-free products. They had a vitamin salesperson on staff who pretty much scared me to death about Celiac related disorders. He pretty much made it sound like I was virtually guaranteed to get all sorts of awful disorders if I did not take a slew of vitamins and supplements. Is there any truth in this? Should I be taking certain supplements on account of my Celiac? Has anyone found any supplement that helps with digestion?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

par18 Apprentice

Hi,

When I first started this diet in May 05 I was pretty malnourished. In addition to the gluten free food I was taking a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement (Oscal) each day. When I had a bone scan a couple of months into the diet the person doing the test acted like a salesperson for Fosomax (sp?). Anyway I resisted getting this supplement. As a matter of fact recently I had stopped taking all vitamins and are relying on getting the necessary vitamins through my diet only. I think this is what nature had in mind. I don't think about associated disorders because I feel so good that I am content to listen to my body and do the very best with a balanced gluten free diet. Sometimes I think these comments are nothing more than "scare tactics" in order to sell these products. If you think you are unable to get enough vitamins through the food you eat then maybe something else is necessary. If I were you and felt fine on the diet I would avoid as many "supplements" as possible. If the body's digestive system is working properly then you should get the necessary vitamins from your food. Hope this helps.

Tom

tarnalberry Community Regular

While damage to the intestines can cause vitamin deficiencies due to malabsorption, and it's worth getting tested if you suspect one, going on the diet will heal the damage. A multivitamin is good insurance, but in most cases you can get all the nutrients you need from eating a well balanced, well rounded, varied set of natural foods in your daily diet.

katrinamaria Explorer

ditto the above people. just remember they are trying to sell them to you, so OF COURSE you "need" them :) if you really are worried about it, talk to your doctor! good luck!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Because of the celiac disease it is possible that you are very deficient in some essential nutrients. It is NOT a good idea to just take a whole bunch of stuff without knowing what you really need. I suggest being tested for deficiencies, to see what you need, if anything.

The most important things to test for (because generally, those are the most likely deficiencies, as those nutrients are absorbed by the small intestine) are ferritin, vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K, vitamin B12 (I hope I remembered them all). Also, it is quite important that all people diagnosed with celiac disease have a bone density scan. Even children with celiac disease can already have osteoporosis.

I agree with the previous posters, that guy just wanted you to buy his products. Be an educated consumer and only buy what you really need.

A lot of time taking enzymes will help with digestion and healing of the intestines.

Aizlynn Rookie

I also take vitamin B-Complex. It helps me with depression and that time of the month. :) and for some reason, the black circles under my eyes are starting to slowly go away.

Archived