This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Little Sister

super-sally888

super-sally888 Contributor

My little sister was apparently diagnosed with celiac (through some blood test) years ago. The dr. told her that she was marginal and that maybe she could still have some gluten. Anyway, we all know that is wrong.

When i suspected gluten problems for me (about 3 months ago) I talked to her (only at that time did I find out she had probably celiac). She then told me she had been gluten light for 6 months and her symptoms cleared up but that she thought she tolerate gluten and had was eating it from time to time. When I heard I was shocked and asked her to research further. She blew up at me and told me to mind my own business. Ok. At least I tried.

The latest thing I hear (today) is that she was having blood in her stool and symptoms back and is finally going to be completely checked. Endoscopy and biopsy, genetic and immune testing. Whew! Great! I am so pleased that she is really going to check this out for once and for all.

And she just emailed me to tell me that maybe my thryoid prob is caused by gluten! So she's also researching. I don't hope she has celiac. But really it is so important to know and treat/manage this properly.

If she is positive then all my sisters, my mother and my brother will be tested.

Moral of this! patience. And don't give up on helping those you love.

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bri's mom Apprentice

You sound like a very caring sister. She is lucky to have you. My 21 yr. old daughter's biopsy came back positive for celiac this past Dec. I also have two sons, 30 and 24 yrs. old. Should they be tested for celiac even if they are not having problems. We have not been able to trace back to any family members who had celiac. I don't know much about my dad's people though. It could have come from that side. I hope your sister does well.

Bri's Mom

super-sally888 Contributor

Hi Bri's Mum,

If your daughter has celiac, she must have got the genes from either you or your husband. If you don't know which one of you, both of you should be tested, and your other children. People can have this with no symptoms... but that doesn't mean that damage is not occuring. Hope all works out well.

Sally

Archived