Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wowzer

Clueless

Went to dinner at Applebee's. The waitress was totally clueless about gluten free. She asked the manager and he was too. It's my husband's favorite place to eat. It never has been one of mine. I guess we all live and learn.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Applebees is hopeless when it comes to gluten-free. Tell your husband to go with friends every now and then, but you should avoid it.

PS - I agree with you. I never liked the place. You're paying cooks to heat up frozen stuff for the most part. You could eat freshly made food for the same price.

richard

We used to go there for drinks and appetizers once a week after girls night out volleyball. Now I can only eat the chips and drink a coke. We're trying to find somewhere else to go where I can eat an appetizer too - not a full meal.

One of the best places I've been since all of this happened is Texas Roadhouse. Had a GREAT experience and food was excellent. They have a gluten free menu - and the manager at our branch - his mother has celiac! So they are very advanced....

Tritty (my childhood nickname....)

Age 31, Mommy of 3

Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07

gluten-free since 1/16/07

Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.

Two oldest kids - fine so far :)

My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...

PS - I agree with you. I never liked the place. You're paying cooks to heat up frozen stuff for the most part. You could eat freshly made food for the same price.

Could not agree more. I was seriously disappointed when I learned that Applebee's doesn't really "make" their food. It's already prepared, they just heat it up... which is why it's impossible to get gluten free food there.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

After my Applebee's dining experience yesterday, I thought I would call to complain. They don't expect anyone to know. If you call them (888-59APPLE) they will check anything on the menu and let you know what has wheat in it. Not a total answer to gluten. If you think about it, there are warnings about allergies written on the bottom of the menu. I think they really don't want us to eat there. I'm glad it's not my favorite place to eat.

Went to dinner at Applebee's. The waitress was totally clueless about gluten free. She asked the manager and he was too. It's my husband's favorite place to eat. It never has been one of mine. I guess we all live and learn.

I have given up on using the term gluten and celiac disease.... it just seems to confuse the issue when I eat out. I start every ordering process like this: (Which is a lie but it gets the job done all the time)

"I am going to be a high maintenance customer because my daughter has HORRIBLE allergies to a few foods.... and I know you don't want her having a reaction here."

Then I tell them what looks the safest on the menu but ask if I could please see the ingredients for everything including spices and marinades that way they don't have to be responsible if she does have a reaction. I also let them know that I'm not in a hurry to order and that I understand that they have other tables to weight on but it is something I need to do to protect my daughter.

I have never had a problem and usually these people bend over backward send the manager and the head chef over to discuss what she can eat.

At the end of the meal I usually tell them that she has celiac disease and what it is... and explain to them the importance of avoiding cross contamination. It is usually well received and several managers have actually taken note of what I ordered in case other people with Celiac Disease come in to eat there.

My last encounter with Applebees was just like this :) I guess I just get lucky!

Ugh! I hate Applebees. My stepfather (who used to be quite the gourmand) is going to weight watchers and now, because Applebees has those WW-approved meals, he insists on going there all the time.

I understand where he's coming from -- it's nice to have a place to eat where your dietary considerations are taken into account (!) -- but why did Applebees get the WW license and not something easier for Celiacs like Outback.

hey tritty-- what do you get at TX roadhouse?? all i ever get there is a plain baked potato...i'm scared to try anything else and the waiter/tresses always seem kind of [sorry] unintelligent/clueless... i did hear they were changing their menu around though....