Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cchhrriiss

Testing Information

I watched the View, and saw that there was a gene test to find out if you carry a gene that could cause celiac. How accurate is that test? If you are negative does that mean that you can't get celiac? I can't go back on gluten it gives me a severe rash on my face. Iv'e tried 9 times . My derm has finally given up after a year of treatment, and said, stay away from gluten. I have tried 7 months of antibiotics, steriods, and 5 months of Accutane. He said, he has no idea why I get this rash. He doesn't think it's DM. He would like to send me to the Mayo clinic. I'm not convinced that it's not DM, but maybe just an intolerance. Either way this forum has been great. I would like to know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A gene test is absolutely accurate (unless they mix up samples, which is uncommon). Your genes don't change.

They can test your rash to see if it's DH. It wouldn't be that hard.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

The gene test is accurate and precise - it'll tell you if you have the known genes for celiac disease. It won't tell you if you have the genetic makeup that makes you susceptible to developing gluten intolerance or the other genes that haven't yet been identified covering the rest of the people who have diagnosed celiac disease, and it won't tell you if you have the active disease or not.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

The gene test is accurate and precise - it'll tell you if you have the known genes for celiac disease. It won't tell you if you have the genetic makeup that makes you susceptible to developing gluten intolerance or the other genes that haven't yet been identified covering the rest of the people who have diagnosed celiac disease, and it won't tell you if you have the active disease or not.

Hi Tiffany,

I'm in Seattle too.

Can anyone tell me how much a gene test is and how likely I could get insurance to pay for my son's test, given my diagnosis?

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    luvbaggio
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)