Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

Obtaining Health Insurance With A Diagnosis

Right now I have decent health insurance through my employer eventually however when we have kids I plan to stay at home and then would have to do something about my insurance coverage. Hubby is self employed so we'd have to get individual coverage for me. I've already had the blood test come back positive and have a biopsy scheduled for next week. Now my mom's doctor told her NOT to get tested because of health insurance reasons and I'm now freaking out that at some point I won't be able to get health insurance or have to pay a super high premium to get a bad plan. Does any one have any experiences similar to mine and did it work out okay? Has any one been denied health insurance because of celiac? I've read that each deline from an insurance company is just as bad as going without health insurance for several years. It's so confusing!!!! :angry: Should I skip the biopsy so it doesn't go on my health insurance and just the blood tests will be there?

Thanks,

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What you do is your choice, nobody can make it for you. But yes, some members here have been denied health and/or life insurance because of an official celiac disease diagnosis.

If you feel that your positive blood work and your diet response to the gluten-free diet is good enough to be convinced to stay away from gluten for the rest of your life, the biopsy really won't be needed. But as I said, only you can make the decision either way.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest lorlyn

My husband and I decided not to get him tested for Celiac just because we do not want it on his medical record. Unless we have to we will not bring it up with his doctor. I worry about my 10 year old not being able to get insurance when she gets older. Hopefully things will change over time

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)