Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

First Time Traveling- Who Do I Talk To At The Hotel?

I will be traveling for the first time at the end of the month as a celiac. Along with needing to be gluten-free, i also can't eat dairy soy or eggs. I would like to call the hotel ahead of time to see what type of accomodations they are able to make for things like breakfast and lunch (we'll most likely not eat dinner at the hotel). Does any one have experience making this type of call? Who do I need to speak with? What do I need to ask them about? Would it be out of line to ask them if I can have a mini fridge put in the room for items I may bring with me? I'm hoping they will be accomodating because it's a nice hotel we're staying at I just need to know who to talk to and what to tell them.

Thanks!

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Amy, we have asked if we could have a room with a small kitchen a couple of times. It did cost a little more, but we had a stove, fridge, microwave and dishes.

But if that isn't possible, I think it perfectly reasonable to ask for at least a small fridge and microwave. In fact, most rooms have a fridge with snack food (that costs an arm and a leg to take out and eat). You can possibly ask for that to be removed, so you can put your own stuff in.

You might want to talk to a manager about your food intolerances, so the management is aware of them. And then ask to speak to the chef in person. You will likely need to talk to him face to face when you get there as well.

Good hotels will work with you all the way, working out each day's menu a day in advance (working with items they have on hand that day for you to chose from).

Don't be afraid to make your wishes known. But also make sure to let them know how much you appreciate what they are doing for you, and do leave generous tips for everybody who looked after you in the end. I know that won't be cheap, but it will ensure your safety. Happy employees who feel appreciated are much more likely to do their utmost for you.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------