Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bchapa

Blood Test Qustion

Ok, the test results, based off of blood work, for our 16 month old came back negative. The Dr. wants us to stay on the gluten free foods for about 2 months and then introduce him to gluten again. At that point, he will do another blood test. If this test comes back negative, there is a very good chance he does not have celiac. I know one thing, no negative testing, regarding this intolerance, is definitive.

This is the way I understand it, and please let me know if any body agrees or does not agree. They are testing for two antigens, DRQ2 or DRQ8. Neither of these were found in the last panel, but he had been on a gluten free diet for about 3 or 4 weeks. The next test will come after he has been introduced to gluten again. If he does have celiac disease, he should produce one of these antibodies that attaches to the gluten and causes damage to the small intestine. This would cause a positive result in the next test which would mean he probably does have celiac.

Has anybody out there gone through this procedure with their children? If so, has anybody had a negative result on the second test and their child still show an intolerance to gluten?

Thanks for reading,

Billy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They didn't explain this to you very well.

DRQ2 and 8 are the genes and they don't routinely test for those. The antibodies are:

anti-gliadin, anti-tissue transglutaminase, and anti-endomysial (sp). Except for the names, your understanding is correct.

I think you'll find that many parents couldn't handle the results when they tried to reintroduce their child to gluten and that response was definitive enough for them.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

If they did gene testing, it is HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8. They are the Celiac genes. They will be there/not there regardless of gluten intake.

The full Celiac panel is (blood/serology)

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu or www.celiaccenter.org

My son had these tests done

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

They all came back negative except for the IgG one which I was told means it was inconclusive or negative however you want to look at it. My son was gluten lite when he took it and those #'s were high then I put in on a high gluten diet and those same #'s were still high. He has a ton of GI symtoms so we were told and decided to challenge him on the gluten-free diet. I basically am trying my best to treat him as tho he is truely celiac....we have had a few mishaps with cross contaiminations. But he is looking a bit better. The couple of times before we went strict gluten-free I gave him non gluten-free cookies or gold fishes and he instantly complained of tummy pain. My son is 3.5 yrs old. I have no doubt my son has a gluten intollerence...whether or not it is celiac is where I am stuck. I would love to get the gene test done but my doctor has swayed not to.

Good luck. I've been reading alot and from what I understand testing young kids under age 6 you often get false negitives.

Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07

**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:

Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

They all came back negative except for the IgG one which I was told means it was inconclusive or negative however you want to look at it. My son was gluten lite when he took it and those #'s were high then I put in on a high gluten diet and those same #'s were still high. He has a ton of GI symtoms so we were told and decided to challenge him on the gluten-free diet. I basically am trying my best to treat him as tho he is truely celiac....we have had a few mishaps with cross contaiminations. But he is looking a bit better. The couple of times before we went strict gluten-free I gave him non gluten-free cookies or gold fishes and he instantly complained of tummy pain. My son is 3.5 yrs old. I have no doubt my son has a gluten intollerence...whether or not it is celiac is where I am stuck. I would love to get the gene test done but my doctor has swayed not to.

We're in the exact same boat (no positives except moderately high IgG). He has improved so much gluten free, but it is frustrating not knowing definitively. Have you made any other discoveries? Our son was treated for yeast, and the response was very positive. I guess that is controversial, though.