Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am 5'6 and i used to weigh 150 lbs, now i way about 135lbs after only 2 months gluten free. Is this weight loss normal, and why am i losing so much weight. I am eating healthy and going to the gym 5 days a week, but i am worried. I have lost all fat and now am very lean. I don't want to lose anymore. Advice please?

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Your body adjusted to now getting the proper nutrients, and I believe it was healthy weight loss. 135 pounds for somebody 5'6" tall seems perfect to me, definitely not too little.

My youngest daughter is 5'9" and weighs about the same as you, and she is definitely not skinny. So, don't worry, I think you are doing fine.

My son is 24 years old this month, is 6 feet tall, and only weighs 135 pounds! He is skinny, but seems to be perfectly healthy.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be careful - when I was diagnosed, I was not overweight at all (125lbs, 5'7''. I was a runner). I lost so much weight in 2 months, I truly almost died - I was in the hospital, and my organs were shutting down, at 78lbs. It was rapid. Are you still eating a balanced diet, replacing your 'old' foods?

Gluten-free, Vegan

Hi,

how is your energy level? At your current height your weight is probably ok, but you don;t want to lose much more and it sure is scarey to lose so fast.

Have you estimated your daily calories? Are you eating enough? Someone your height and weight should be eating about 2400 calories a day to maintain (and maybe more considering you work out).

To gain/maintain weight, make sure you don't eat low fat foods. Low fat is not good for you. Also, make sure you use real sweeteners, not artificial ones (artificial sweeteners are bad for you anyway).

Are you eating snacks as well as main meals? Add some snacks between meals. These can be thinks like nuts, yogurts (gluten-free), fruits, veges, whatever you like.

Hope this helps.

Sally

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.