This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Finished Challenge Back On Diet..whens It All Gonna End..

MinxyMandy

MinxyMandy Apprentice

Hello All hope your all well..

Ive just finished my gluten challenge and glad to be back on diet ...

Ive got to wait a month for results and I am so scared that its not gonna be celiac I have all the symptoms and respond with diet but this has gone on for 15 months and I think I ve lost my confidence that I am ever going to get back to normal..

I apparently had a bad case of Candida so this time I thought I would go carb free aswell..

Well, first day I was buzzing as didnt have to eat gluten..as I know my tum swelling goes down and taht has been sooooooo uncomfortable..

I havent felt hungry on the carb free diet but after 2 nd day have been feeling really tiered and not sure if I am constipated as go a little but always have that feeling in my tum not quite evacuated stools...

I had stopped sugar, carbs, yeast etc to starve candida but do you think I really have to stop all carbs..is it really necersarry..or do you think taht my tum being swollen is just gonna take time to go as its healing...

I know I have a reaction from sugar fruit, chocolate etc

Also I have had these strange veins that have dialated round my eyes and spoke to an optician as have had dry sore eyes too and she said it could be celiac artery???? Any one heard of that ..I asked doctor (not my normal one) and he said you have always had them they just dialte when your hot but they wasnt there before....

I am not sure whether its best to do no carb and be constipated or just have a small amount of rice a day ..Please advise....thanks well down at the moment ..

After 2 days Ive lost loads of weight straight away I think when eating wheat I get water retention aswell..

XX Mand

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There is an artery called the celiac artery but it's name has nothing to do with the disease. Celiac does cause inflammation and can cause it in the blood vessels. I am glad you checked this out with your doctor.

When you are saying you are doing no carbs does that mean that you have also cut veggies out of your diet? They are a good source of fiber and good carbs.

If you had a good result on the diet for heavens sake if the tests come back negative don't think you don't have a problem with gluten.

Since you said you got relief on the diet I would get back on it very strictly for a couple of months and then if you are still having problems you can ferret out the other possible problems. If you try to do to much at once you may end up confused and possibly eliminating things you don't need to eliminate. The one thing that almost all celiacs need to give up in addition to the gluten is dairy. Drop those two for a bit THEN concern yourself with other possible intolerances.

MinxyMandy Apprentice
There is an artery called the celiac artery but it's name has nothing to do with the disease. Celiac does cause inflammation and can cause it in the blood vessels. I am glad you checked this out with your doctor.

When you are saying you are doing no carbs does that mean that you have also cut veggies out of your diet? They are a good source of fiber and good carbs.

If you had a good result on the diet for heavens sake if the tests come back negative don't think you don't have a problem with gluten.

Since you said you got relief on the diet I would get back on it very strictly for a couple of months and then if you are still having problems you can ferret out the other possible problems. If you try to do to much at once you may end up confused and possibly eliminating things you don't need to eliminate. The one thing that almost all celiacs need to give up in addition to the gluten is dairy. Drop those two for a bit THEN concern yourself with other possible intolerances.

Thank you for replying..

Yeah I know I shouldnt try and do to many things at once but this has been going on for so long and Ive been given Homeopathioc diet for candida I think I still have that because of celiac and gluten-free diet and no dairy or nuts etc...

The first day I thought Id try specific carb diet and just eat meat and veggies and see if I have a problem with rice etc..but then started to feel fatigued by second day brain fog etc..so today I thought Id have some rice and now I am thinking wish I wouldnt of had the rice..and do you know what I think all this is making me so depressed I feel like I am trapped in this horrible "Ground hog Day thing " that wont go away...I was so healthy before..sorry I am so upset today feel like giving it all up ..

Maybe I am being to hard on myself as its only day three of diet ..I feel so down and negative about myself look tiered all the time and drained which has zapped all my confidence..

Sorry going on and thanks for your support

XMand

Ursa Major Collaborator

Mandy, feeling fatigued and depressed might have nothing at all to do with just eating vegetables and meat (that is all I can have, too). You may just have withdrawal symptoms from finally eliminating gluten again!

Those withdrawal symptoms could last up to two weeks. So, give it that long before you decide that the SCD diet isn't working for you.

And it is true, vegetables will supply you with all the carbs you ever need. NOBODY needs any grains to be healthy, that is a complete myth.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Ursa is very correct on the withdrawl aspect, I hadn't even thought of that. Hang in there and I hope things improve soon.

MinxyMandy Apprentice
Mandy, feeling fatigued and depressed might have nothing at all to do with just eating vegetables and meat (that is all I can have, too). You may just have withdrawal symptoms from finally eliminating gluten again!

Those withdrawal symptoms could last up to two weeks. So, give it that long before you decide that the SCD diet isn't working for you.

And it is true, vegetables will supply you with all the carbs you ever need. NOBODY needs any grains to be healthy, that is a complete myth.

Hello

Thanks for replying :)

So do you think its best to cut out carbs from the diet?

It is so hard as candida diet is no sugar, fruit, yeast , moulds, celiac as you know is quite restricting but some people say you need to cut them out to kill yeasts. I am also cutting out any form of dairy, soy, peanuts as I think they disagree with me. If I cut rice and potatoes theres not alot left to eat but veg and protein.

I just feel like its dominating me as a sperson and it all gets on top of me now and again. I dont even reconise my self when i look in the mirror I look awful!

Hope your doing okay, its nice to be able to come and speak to people who understand what your going through.

MandX

Ursa Major Collaborator

Grains and starches make me feel bloated and sick and I had to cut them all out of my diet. Once in a while (maybe once every six weeks or so) I will bake something that contains light buckwheat (dark makes me sick). But I know not to eat it more often, as it doesn't really agree with me. I just need a treat now and then.

I can't have any lectins, they will cause awful joint pains, backaches, headaches and gastrointestinal distress, amongst others. Lectin foods are: All grains (including rice and corn), all dairy, eggs, all nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant), and all legumes (including soy and peanuts).

Check the link in my signature to find out more. I also can't have anything high in salicylates (salicylic acid, Aspirin is 100% salicylic acid and could put me into anaphylactic shock). Meaning that the only fruit left to me is peeled pears, and the occasional peeled golden delicious apple. I can't tolerate any herbs and spices (sea salt is all I've got left), no juice, no teas except for chamomile, the only sweetener is maple syrup (honey is terrible for me), most vegetables are out as well.

Usually all I eat is meat and the vegetables I can have. If I cheat I'll regret it. Once I gave in and ate ONE orange, and the next day felt like I was on fire! Salicylates cause terrible muscle pain, and even my skin will hurt when I eat those.

Mint is a big no-no, as is every flavour that toothpaste may come in. So, I brush my teeth with baking soda.

So, even though it sounds like you'll likely end up eating like me, it can be done. I've been on this restricted diet for one and a half years now, and I'm still alive. Mind you, I do take vitamins, as it won't be possible to get everything I need from my diet. I take the hypoallergenic nu thera vitamins from Open Original Shared Link.

I know it is tough. But you may have no choice but to restrict your diet even further.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived