This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Son's Upcoming Hospital Stay

jennyj

jennyj Collaborator

My 23 year old son is going to the hospital at the end of May to have brain surgery. He is going to be there at least a week. I am going to stay with him at the hospital and feel selfish asking this about myself but what can I take with me to eat that week that will not need refrigeration and won't spoil? I want to give him all my attention and don't want to worry about getting ill. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Jenny-

Don't feel selfish, if you are going to be spending time with him and caring for him the last thing on your mind should be worrying about yourself being sick.

You will not have any fridge at all? This might be a little tough though, coming up with an entire weeks worth of meals.

You can get some dry cereals and buy milk in the cafe, You can bring your own bread and make toast or PB&J. You can also buy meat/cheese at the hospital and make a sandwich. You can bring your own fruit. Some gluten-free snacks to tide you over, Glutino makes breakfast bars. I am sorry I couldn't give too many options. Most of my ideas need a fridge at some point..I am sorry. Is there a way you can see about using some space in the nurses fridge at the hospital? Just an idea.

Good Luck and I wish your son well!!!!

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Check with the hospital to see if you will have access to a microwave (nurses station or cafeteria). This would allow you to bring along canned goods (Dinty Moore, Gluten Free soup etc) and items such as Thai Kitchen. If you do this, bring your own paper plates, bowls plastic silverware and a can opener. You could also bring along an ice chest with pre-made, pre-frozen meals (assuming again access to a microwave). This is what I do when we travel by car. The food will last a week if the ice chest is refilled everyday.

Hope everything goes well.

Lisa Mentor

Jenny:

I am sorry about your sons surgery. I hope that all goes well for you and your son.

Regarding your food, I would recommend that you talk to the director of Nursing and explain your diet restrictions and Celiac Disease.

I would think that the hospital could accommodate you with access to a microwave or a small space in a refrigerator at the nursing stations.

If that is possible, you can bring some homemade soup or some frozen entrees that you can prepare at home ahead of time.

Amanda suggested some sandwiches, fruit, gluten free eggos, Thai soups, gluten free biscuits with egg and bacon. When I travel, I always bring some sweet potatos, bananas and jiff individual peanut butter. Some of Amy's frozen meals are gluten free as well. Canned Carnation Instant breakfast (except for the malt chocolate) would work.

I really do think that the hospital will be helpful.

Lisa Mentor

Celiacs do seem to think alike. We posted at the same time, but I type slower.

jennyj Collaborator

Thank you so much for the help. It gives me a few weeks to plan. I knew I could count on you guys.

mommida Enthusiast

I would double check with the hospital. Depending on what floor and the level of care there may be a family lounge. If you have access to a microwave, I just found these Food-Tek mixes. They taste great, you just add water - then put in the supplied mold and microwave. Putting the bread, waffles, pizza crust in the toaster would be preffered. No refridgeration needed. You may be able to find some mainstream items in the caf.

Since I was just in the hospital unexpectly with my daughter a few weeks ago, I learned some valuable lessons. Have an emergency bag for yourself with all toiletries, medication (pain reliever and antacids or whatever basic non-prescription things you can think of), and an extra, extra outfit. The stress of having to watch your child endure the procedure and hospital stay will take a toll on you and your health.

Laura

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I, too, hope everything goes well with your son's surgery. I don't know the size of the hospital he's going to, but usually the nurses are very kind about making arrangements, particularly because they have enough medical training to know that people with celiac need to eat special things (even if they don't always know exactly what those things are). When I stayed in the hospital for a week in February, my boyfriend brought me individual packs of gluten free broth, and when I asked them to, the nurses would heat it up in their microwave. I'm sure they'll let you do the same thing there as well. Sorry I can't be more helpful about other foods--I was on clear liquids only though, you could probably do Thai soup bowls, those little gluten-free mexican rice bowls, Amy's meals, etc.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I did forget about the Thai Kitchen, great idea Nicole. Those would be very easy, just add the water. :)

Tree Rookie

How about an electric teakettle (about $15 US at "big box" retailers), and just-add-water stuff? No worries about cross-contamination, and you can bring in bags of tea and/or cocoa packets. I've also used this gadget to heat up canned soup, although then you have to wash it, etc.

Try a cooler w/plenty of ice & string cheese, etc. for the first few days, perhaps.

Remember: germs ABOUND in hospitals. Pack a big container of gel and disinfecting wipes. Wipe down EVERYTHING in the room, especially the phone, remote for TV, switch plates, bed rails, etc.

I recommend extra chocolate for you; no refrigeration required!

Good luck to both of you.

My 23 year old son is going to the hospital at the end of May to have brain surgery. He is going to be there at least a week. I am going to stay with him at the hospital and feel selfish asking this about myself but what can I take with me to eat that week that will not need refrigeration and won't spoil? I want to give him all my attention and don't want to worry about getting ill. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Archived