This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Computer/technology Ignorant

Ashley

Ashley Enthusiast

Hello to all!

I just went and bought myself an Ipod a couple of days ago. When I plug it up to the USB port, nothing comes up. I've used the port before for my camera. I tried plugging in my camera too but nothing happened. The little icon doesn't pop up in the bottom bar showing that the USB port is in use. I don't know if anything came unplugged or what. Any advice? Anything I should look for? I really don't want to take the stupid computer to the shop. :(

-Ash

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

It's probably the ipod. Mine did that when I first got it. I had to contact the support center to work out the bugs. Try reinstalling the ipod software, from there you can hit the reset on the ipod. It should tell you how to in the paperwork.

Ashley Enthusiast

Oops! I forgot to even install the software. So, you go to the the site and download itunes, right? When you do that, do you open or save it?

-Ash

Ursa Major Collaborator

Ashley, I don't have an iPod. But my guess is, that your iPod came with an installation C D to download, so your computer will recognize it. And then, yes, I suppose you probably should download iTunes as well.

tarnalberry Community Regular

actually, your computer should recognize it without installing the software that came with it (part of the amusing thing that is usb). the fact that your camera *also* was not recognized suggests that it is a problem with the usb port, not the ipod. if you have, or know anyone who has, a usb drive (thumb drive, whatever you call it), try that as well. make sure to give the computer plenty of time, and to look in "my computer" (assuming a pc).

but, almost any computer these days (in the past seven years, really) has more than one usb port. try them all before giving up. it's not that uncommon to have one fail, but others still work just fine. (you may have to use one in the back of the machine, not at the front, however.)

Ashley Enthusiast

Nope, No C-D just a bunch of vague instructions that pretty much worthless if you run into a problem. Thanks though Ursula and Generic!

Tiffany, it was the USB port. I went to my uncle's yesterday and it came up just fine. I tried it again on my computer but nothing. When I hook it to one the usb ports, it feels loose. The other fits fine but nothing came up and nothing new was in my computer. So it looks like my computer gets to take a field trip to the shop lol. Thanks for everything!

-Ash

RiceGuy Collaborator

If you haven't already, try a different cable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived