Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grace01

Cruise

My daughter is 3 and has celiac disease. My family has been invited on a cruise. I have checked with the cruise line (Royal Caribean)and they have informed me that they will be able to prepare gluten free food. My question is has anybody ever been successful on cruise ships being gluten free? I'm a little nervous about her being glutened. thanks Erica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have not been on a cruise, but I know people who ahve..

The chefs are top of the line chefs and know about food issues. Many cruise lines offer special cruises for diabetic celiacs etc. Simliar to Disney - they will cater to you.

I would suggest however that you contact them again and ask if they would be so kind as to talk to the chef(s) employed by Royal Carribean - and see if a PR person in food prep dept can ease your mind. Then you can express your concern that because your child is three, you want to insure that "kid friendly" food will be on board and ask how they prevent cross contamination.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

From what I understand, Royal Carribean does pretty good. We've been hoping to go on a cruise this year or next and RC is one of the ones we're looking seriously at.

Here's a couple more recent threads on Royal Carribean.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30530

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...6&hl=cruise

Let us know how it goes.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I've cruised several times on Carnival and had an outstanding time. Absolutely no worries about gluten. Before we left, I told our booking agent I had a special diet requirement. She sent me a form to complete and fax back that asked for specific information. The first night on the cruise, I went to the matre'd at dinner and explained my food requirements. Every night after that, our waiter would come to the table and ask for my food requests for the next night. They even gave me a list of all the foods offered each day and the ingredients. They also made suggestions on what would be gluten free. It was wonderful. I had such a great time not worrying about anything for 7 days that I cried when we left. The staff is wonderful and bend over backwards to make sure the food is gluten free. We came home and booked our next cruise for 6 months later.

Bon Voyage and have a great time! I know your daughter will love it and so will you. The not-having-to-worry part is my favorite!

We are doing a RCCL cruise in August and this will be my first gluten free. From what I have read here as well as the message boards on Cruise Critic/RCCL, it sounds like they do a great job.

When you sign up for your cruise, there is actually a question they ask regarding dietary restrictions and gluten free is one of the options. There is also an e-mail address where you should send a message about 6 weeks before indicating you will need a gluten free diet.

I can post more information after I return from my cruise in Aug. Hope this much helps.