Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

squirt2476

Gene Testing On Newborn

My 2 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with celiac weeks after his second birthday. His gene test showed that he had a double gene, and my husband and I each have one gene but do not have celiac. I am due any day now with baby number 2, and I know the chances are high that he/she will at least have the gene, if not celiac. Does anybody know if it's possible to have a newborn tested for the gene so we know what we are dealing with? If he/she has the gene do I need to avoid gluten while breastfeeding? Thanks for any help!!

Keri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Enterolab does gene testing by cheek swab, and will test for the gluten intolerant genes as well as the celiac ones. Most people will have either two celiac genes, two gluten intolerant genes or one of each. The genes are found in most people, but not everyone develops problems with gluten. The gene test is $150. You can contact them and ask if they can do a gene test on a newborn. I would think so, but I'd double check to be sure. www.enterolab.com

As far as breast feeding, I would go gluten-free. Also there was a study about a year ago that said not to introduce gluten until either the baby is either six months or a year (can't remember).

There is SOOO much they don't know at this point. I think it would be better to err on the side of caution and not eat it while breast feeding, and not introduce it to early. There may be a chance that you might be able to protect the new baby from developing it, or maybe at least delay it from being triggered until later on in childhood, or in adulthood.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb