Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peter12345

Couple Of Questions?

Hey guys I was just wondering if we're affected when say our hands are dipped in a bucket of gluten? Or say a bucket of beer (which has gluten in it?)

Does this affect the intestines? Or is it only when we drink/eat it?

Might be a dumb question but I wasn't sure.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have no problems with wheat touching your skin, it will not be a problem as long as you wash your hands immediately. The biggest problem comes when you forget where your hands have been and then eat something. Anything your hands touch can conceivably make it to your mouth. Now me, I can't have gluten on my skin or I break out in hives.

Hope this helps!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

If you have no problems with wheat touching your skin, it will not be a problem as long as you wash your hands immediately. The biggest problem comes when you forget where your hands have been and then eat something. Anything your hands touch can conceivably make it to your mouth. Now me, I can't have gluten on my skin or I break out in hives.

Hope this helps!

Oh ok. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'll make sure I wash my hands. I was just wondering if the skin absorbs the gluten and it somehow makes its way to down to the intestines, cheers.

Nah, it shouldn't affect your intestines. Just make sure you don't rub your mouth, face, eyes, ect. Some people's skin break out when exposed to gluten (which is my case). It just differs from person to person.

-Ash

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

Nah, it shouldn't affect your intestines. Just make sure you don't rub your mouth, face, eyes, ect. Some people's skin break out when exposed to gluten (which is my case). It just differs from person to person.

-Ash

So what does the skin do when it comes in contact with gluten? Where does the gluten go? (Assuming it was absorbed)?

Well Peter, multi answers here.

So what does the skin do when it comes in contact with gluten? Where does the gluten go? It depends on who you are talking too. Some say it can not possibly go through the skin, yet others say, if you have an open wound, it can pass through. I really do not know. I do know that if gluten, soy, or corn gets on my skin, I react. Sometimes hives immediately, sometimes burning sensation, sometimes terrible itching. I remember when I was on the farm, just walking through the corn would make me itch. Yet, me reacting could be a topical allergy and not a gluten reaction or, could it be a reaction to gluten?????

I really do not think that medical technology can answer this guestion for any of us. Some of us are much more reactive than others. Some celiac's can give up gluten and be ok. Some of us have had to give up all grains. I have found that I have had to give up nearly everything with lectins. Now my sister does fine with most of what I have had to give up.

Live an learn is probably the only answer I can give you.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!