This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Couple Of Questions?

Peter12345

Peter12345 Rookie

Hey guys I was just wondering if we're affected when say our hands are dipped in a bucket of gluten? Or say a bucket of beer (which has gluten in it?)

Does this affect the intestines? Or is it only when we drink/eat it?

Might be a dumb question but I wasn't sure.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

If you have no problems with wheat touching your skin, it will not be a problem as long as you wash your hands immediately. The biggest problem comes when you forget where your hands have been and then eat something. Anything your hands touch can conceivably make it to your mouth. Now me, I can't have gluten on my skin or I break out in hives.

Hope this helps!

Peter12345 Rookie
If you have no problems with wheat touching your skin, it will not be a problem as long as you wash your hands immediately. The biggest problem comes when you forget where your hands have been and then eat something. Anything your hands touch can conceivably make it to your mouth. Now me, I can't have gluten on my skin or I break out in hives.

Hope this helps!

Oh ok. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'll make sure I wash my hands. I was just wondering if the skin absorbs the gluten and it somehow makes its way to down to the intestines, cheers.

Ashley Enthusiast

Nah, it shouldn't affect your intestines. Just make sure you don't rub your mouth, face, eyes, ect. Some people's skin break out when exposed to gluten (which is my case). It just differs from person to person.

-Ash

Peter12345 Rookie
Nah, it shouldn't affect your intestines. Just make sure you don't rub your mouth, face, eyes, ect. Some people's skin break out when exposed to gluten (which is my case). It just differs from person to person.

-Ash

So what does the skin do when it comes in contact with gluten? Where does the gluten go? (Assuming it was absorbed)?

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Well Peter, multi answers here.

So what does the skin do when it comes in contact with gluten? Where does the gluten go? It depends on who you are talking too. Some say it can not possibly go through the skin, yet others say, if you have an open wound, it can pass through. I really do not know. I do know that if gluten, soy, or corn gets on my skin, I react. Sometimes hives immediately, sometimes burning sensation, sometimes terrible itching. I remember when I was on the farm, just walking through the corn would make me itch. Yet, me reacting could be a topical allergy and not a gluten reaction or, could it be a reaction to gluten?????

I really do not think that medical technology can answer this guestion for any of us. Some of us are much more reactive than others. Some celiac's can give up gluten and be ok. Some of us have had to give up all grains. I have found that I have had to give up nearly everything with lectins. Now my sister does fine with most of what I have had to give up.

Live an learn is probably the only answer I can give you.

Archived