This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yerba Mate Tea?

UR Groovy

UR Groovy Explorer

I really don't expect that anyone will know what this is, but I'm gonna hope for the best.

Okay - here it is - My mother brought me a gift from Argentina. It's really bazaar. I'm wondering what's in it. It's called Mate Tea Elaborado. I've searched the internet, but can't find any info in English (duh). It's kind of funny. She said that people there told her that you can't get it in restaurants, and suggests that it may be habit forming. Apparently, you simmer up a small pot and pass it around - kinda hooka-like, but not smoke. It comes with a hard leather steaming pot (looks like a small spittoon) and a strange little sipper - it's really quite eclectic. The people on the package look pretty darn happy. What the heck is in this stuff?

Nutrition information:

Valor energetico, Looks like Vitamin B1 and B6. protein - no fats or carbs - Magnesium, and something called Hierro - whatever that is.

Valor Energetico? I can't imagine what that is.

You know I gotta try it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I really don't expect that anyone will know what this is, but I'm gonna hope for the best.

Okay - here it is - My mother brought me a gift from Argentina. It's really bazaar. I'm wondering what's in it. It's called Mate Tea Elaborado. I've searched the internet, but can't find any info in English (duh). It's kind of funny. She said that people there told her that you can't get it in restaurants, and suggests that it may be habit forming. Apparently, you simmer up a small pot and pass it around - kinda hooka-like, but not smoke. It comes with a hard leather steaming pot (looks like a small spittoon) and a strange little sipper - it's really quite eclectic. The people on the package look pretty darn happy. What the heck is in this stuff?

Nutrition information:

Valor energetico, Looks like Vitamin B1 and B6. protein - no fats or carbs - Magnesium, and something called Hierro - whatever that is.

Valor Energetico? I can't imagine what that is.

You know I gotta try it.

:lol::lol:

Yes!, try it you must!! Natural red bull or even a cure all???

http://www.homeherbs.co.uk/0/product/0/39-...CFQNQEgodhxTbSA

Have fun!! :lol:

UR Groovy Explorer
:lol::lol:

Yes!, try it you must!! Natural red bull or even a cure all???

http://www.homeherbs.co.uk/0/product/0/39-...CFQNQEgodhxTbSA

Have fun!! :lol:

Hmmmmm ... thanks Nikki. I had no idea it was so anti-oxidanty. I'm definitely going to try it - after my lab tests this week. It's not nearly as bazaar as I thought it might be. I'm game.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Did you look at http://www.yerba-mate.com/? Okay, the next parts are me guessing pretty much since I have never heard of this tea. Valor energetico is not an ingredient but since this seems to be an energy drink it is listing the energy value of the tea. Hierro is probably in reference to the plant Yerba de Hierro- maybe it comes from that. Good luck, Fajitas!

UR Groovy Explorer

Wow - what a cool gift. And, kinda trippy too!

codetalker Contributor

Several years ago, my company had branch offices in Uruguay and Argentina. The first time I went there, I spent a month in Uruguay and remember quite well yerba mate. It was quite a social activity. Everybody had their mate and the things that went with it. I remember quite well the sipping spoons. The bowl was a sieve that held the mate and the handle was a straw. Being invited to drink mate with someone was an expression of friendship and a bit of an honor.

At first I thought that mate might be some sort of drug. The social aspect of it and its usage were reminiscent of marijuana in the 60's (i.e. friends passing around a joint). Stores that carried mate devices were definite reminders of head shops. However, mate turned out to be just a type of tea.

It was omnipresent. While I was there, a big agri-business event was held in Montevideo with participation from several countries. When you entered the fair grounds, the first thing you saw was a big banner that stated that hot water was available for your mate at such-and-such booth. Not a welcome banner, mind you. Not a convention banner. I guess it was a case of important things first.

Some companies have rules that limit usage during working hours. As a result, people sneak out to their cars to drink mate. Some devotees are betrayed by a semi-burn on their lips from the hot sipping spoon. With restaurants opening for dinner at 9 PM, clubs opening after midnight and workers getting home at 4 AM, it was no surprise they needed a boost of energy during the day.

Ranching and livestock are important aspects of the countries. As one would expect in countries with ranches and real "cowboys", the macho way to enjoy mate was to drink it from a hollowed out bull testicle.

I think it is more a case that the Uruguayans IMHO are a very special people. Very proud to be Uruguayan and extremely friendly. I have never met people as friendly as they were. In Uruguay, you actually don't have friends, you have family. It is that type of place. They work hard. They play hard. Life and living are of utmost importance. Having mate with friends may just be a social framework for celebrating life. I know that is a bit over the top but I think there is some truth there.

After I got back home, I ran across mate in a health food store. I immediately bought a box mostly because of the memories it brought back (I have to confess I was afraid to bring back real mate because it looks just a little too much like pot). Unfortunately, mate at home just was not the same. It is too much a cultural experience.

Anyone who ever has a chance should visit Uruguay. It is the secret jewel of South America. Go there and drink mate with someone. Relax and enjoy life!

UR Groovy Explorer
Several years ago, my company had branch offices in Uruguay and Argentina. The first time I went there, I spent a month in Uruguay and remember quite well yerba mate. It was quite a social activity. Everybody had their mate and the things that went with it. I remember quite well the sipping spoons. The bowl was a sieve that held the mate and the handle was a straw. Being invited to drink mate with someone was an expression of friendship and a bit of an honor.

At first I thought that mate might be some sort of drug. The social aspect of it and its usage were reminiscent of marijuana in the 60's (i.e. friends passing around a joint). Stores that carried mate devices were definite reminders of head shops. However, mate turned out to be just a type of tea.

It was omnipresent. While I was there, a big agri-business event was held in Montevideo with participation from several countries. When you entered the fair grounds, the first thing you saw was a big banner that stated that hot water was available for your mate at such-and-such booth. Not a welcome banner, mind you. Not a convention banner. I guess it was a case of important things first.

Some companies have rules that limit usage during working hours. As a result, people sneak out to their cars to drink mate. Some devotees are betrayed by a semi-burn on their lips from the hot sipping spoon. With restaurants opening for dinner at 9 PM, clubs opening after midnight and workers getting home at 4 AM, it was no surprise they needed a boost of energy during the day.

Ranching and livestock are important aspects of the countries. As one would expect in countries with ranches and real "cowboys", the macho way to enjoy mate was to drink it from a hollowed out bull testicle.

I think it is more a case that the Uruguayans IMHO are a very special people. Very proud to be Uruguayan and extremely friendly. I have never met people as friendly as they were. In Uruguay, you actually don't have friends, you have family. It is that type of place. They work hard. They play hard. Life and living are of utmost importance. Having mate with friends may just be a social framework for celebrating life. I know that is a bit over the top but I think there is some truth there.

After I got back home, I ran across mate in a health food store. I immediately bought a box mostly because of the memories it brought back (I have to confess I was afraid to bring back real mate because it looks just a little too much like pot). Unfortunately, mate at home just was not the same. It is too much a cultural experience.

Anyone who ever has a chance should visit Uruguay. It is the secret jewel of South America. Go there and drink mate with someone. Relax and enjoy life!

What a wonderful description of a really neat experience ! I was telling my mother that maybe in the next couple years, we'd (the hubby and I) forego the annual Hawaii trip and sneak away to South America. Captures a zest for life and folks that few people appreciate. I'd love to go there someday and have some rich experiences of our own with people who feel the same. Thank You for that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 years later...
marielrn73 Newbie

Yerba Mate from Argentina is gluten free. A list of brands can be found here along with another 100 pages of gluten free products in Argentina. http://www.anmat.gov.ar/listados/Listado_de_Alimentos_Libres_de_Gluten_18_01_2013.pdf

• 6 years later...
Derek Z Newbie

I'm more than a little late to the game here, but for future reference, "valor energético" means "calorie count" (literally "energy value"). I imagine it's zero or close to zero for a cup of mate.