Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crystalkd

Hi. I'm New And I Have A Question

Hi all. My name is Crystal. I was told 5 days ago that I have celiac disease but have been on the diet for 2 1/2 weeks. My question is this: I went to a gastrointerologist and had a biopsy done after 2 blood tests came in in a gray area. The biopsy came back negitive. I then went to see an Internist. He said that even if the biopsy comes back negitive you can still have it. The only true test is to try the diet. I had been really sick before the diet and lost alot of weight. I can tell when I blow the diet. I don't feel well for a few hours or a few days. I've started to gain weight back and I feel a lot better! There are still a couple of things he's checking for as well since I have mild Cerebral Palsy too. Has anyone else run into the same problem? I'm starting to get really confused. All I know is I'm starting to feel alot better. I also know my body is very sensitive to the slightest change.

I forgot to say that I didn't go on the diet until AFTER the biopsy was done. My family and I decided that I had nothing to lose and why wait a week or two for the results when I could start feeling better sooner.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

1st, congrats on starting the diet and feeling better!

2nd, it is all too common for biopsies and/or blood tests to be false negatives. If u hadn't started eating gluten-free (and DO have celiac), u would have started to at some point in the future after one or both tests finally proved it. I've heard of as long as YEARS later.

3rd, u may actually not have celiac at all, but rather be gluten-intolerant. And in this case also you've done the right thing, imho, in going gluten-free.

Best of luck! Tom

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Hi Crystal and welcome.

You have done well by starting the diet. You will feel better little by little.

In this forum you will get lots of information from many people.

Best regards to you and again welcome aboard.

Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with you every where you go.

Jos 1:9

I can do all things thru Christ which strengtheneth me.

Phi 4:13

Blood Test: Negative 03/2006

Biopsy Negative 04/2006

Stopped gluten-free diet 04/2006

EnteroLabs: Positive 04/2007

Fecal Antigliadin IgA "Positive"

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA "Positive"

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score "Positive"

Fecal anti-casein (cow