Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ginghamkim

To Take Progesterone Or Wing It?

I miscarried my first pregnancy. My ob/gyn prescribed progesterone, she called it her magic potion, to see if I would carry. I did and have a healthy boy. Ten months later, I became ill and diagnosised myself with celiac. We would like to try for #2 but I'm hesitant to take progesterone b/c it can cause constipation, indigestion and who knows what the binder is.

My question is to those of you who, pre-celiac, miscarried, took progesterone and had a baby, did you then take progesterone post-diagnosis and carry to term?

Thanks!

Gluten-free since 12/25/06. Soy-free since 3/1/07. High-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil free.

Initial problems with gallbladder and pancreas. Taking digestive enzymes to help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I miscarried my first pregnancy. My ob/gyn prescribed progesterone, she called it her magic potion, to see if I would carry. I did and have a healthy boy. Ten months later, I became ill and diagnosised myself with celiac. We would like to try for #2 but I'm hesitant to take progesterone b/c it can cause constipation, indigestion and who knows what the binder is.

My question is to those of you who, pre-celiac, miscarried, took progesterone and had a baby, did you then take progesterone post-diagnosis and carry to term?

Thanks!

I am not Celiac but my daughter is. I had 5 miscarriages after my oldest daughter was born before they decided my progesterone level was low. I took progesterone suppositores for daughter #2, and oral progesterone for daughter #3 who was diagnosed with Celiac this year as an 8 yr old. (No symptoms except for reflux.)

The drug manufacturer should be able to help with the gluten status of progesterone.

There is a blood test that checks progesterone levels. I would suggest having it checked very early in pregnancy (as soon as you think you are) and have it monitored. If it is low then you need it to carry the pregnancy. If it is normal you don't need it to carry the pregnancy.

I would hate to have a miscarriage b/c I didn't want to take progesterone. But I also would want to know if there was a solid reason to take it, given the side affects.

Magnesium btw can really aid in several things constipation one of them and preventing early labor. I take 500 millgrams a day pregnant or not. If I don't I'm not well.

I was diagnosed in June 2003 with celiac disease. I was on progesterone suppositories twice trying to conceive. When I became pregnant I was on them for 10 weeks. I am once again trying to get pregnant and on them every cycle.

I have had NO problems with constipation or reactions. It is worth the "messiness" for sure!

Thanks everyone. I did find out that the pill is gluten-free, sf and df. I just wonder if I could go without and do it "naturally". Thanks for the tip about the blood test!

Gluten-free since 12/25/06. Soy-free since 3/1/07. High-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil free.

Initial problems with gallbladder and pancreas. Taking digestive enzymes to help.