Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

horsegirl

Enterolab Reliable?

Has anyone ever had negative results from the tests done at EnteroLab?

Seems like everyone I've read about on these forums has always had positive results.

Do they always give positive results to everyone? Seems like some people might not test positive?

Just considering all my options; I'm new to all of this & trying to figure out what to do next!

Thanks! B)

Diagnosed Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in multiple joints 12/06

Diagnosed gluten intolerant through dietary trials 8/07

Enterolab positive for gluten, casein, soy, egg

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Gluten free 8/10/07

Casein free 8/27/07

Soy & egg free 9/8/07

Eggs back again (whoo hoo!) 11/08

Diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome 12/09

Starting various supplements/vitamins in hopes of feeling better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Seems like everyone I've read about on these forums has always had positive results.

Do they always give positive results to everyone? Seems like some people might not test positive?

Just considering all my options; I'm new to all of this & trying to figure out what to do next!

Thanks! B)

This has been discussed before, but yes, people do test negative. Of course, here on this site, it make perfect sense that most people would test positive. People without celiacs are unlikely to spend much time here, and I would agree that Enterolab seems to have the highest percentage of positive answers.

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

Thanks! B)

Hi Horsegirl,

I think what you're noticing is a thing called "selection bias." The people who come here are those who have either directly diagnosed celiac disease, or else unresolvable gi symptoms.

The tests that enterolabs does are identical to the blood tests for anti-tissue transglutaminase and anti-gliadin antibodies. They use the same antibodies in the assay, and the same reagents. I looked into this before having the tests myself. the only difference is that they test stool instead of blood. This actually makes more biological sense, as the igA class of antibodies are produced basically only in the intestines (and breastmilk). If you accept the blood test, then you should accept the enterolabs tests as well.

1 in 133 people have celiac disease, but most are undiagnosed. Enterolabs tests are more sensitive than the other test, which only diagnose about 1 in 10 of the people who have gluten intolerance problems. Many of those people come here for help, so its no wonder that many of the enterolab results for people on this board are positive....

Enterolab:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1223 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

Gastritis dx 10/24

Eosinophilia of large bowel dx 10/29

My husband is the only one who tested negative in our family and he has two celiac genes. He went gluten free with the rest of us though.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.