Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jknnej

Anemia & Pregnancy

Hi all,

I have anemia, iron deficiency, and am going to be trying for pregnancy soon. I will of course talk to my dr about this, but did anyone else here have anemia before getting pregnant? Was it OK to do so? Other than that and acid reflux I am in good health and am strict on my gluten free diet.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Jennifer,

I was very anemic before getting pregnant. I have been for years. Unfortunately all of the iron pills made me sick, so I'm still having issues with anemia at almost 27 weeks pregnant. To be honest my OB/GYN isn't too concerned. My baby is developing very well. I just eat lots and lots of foods with iron in them.

Have you tried any iron pills?

I took iron pills and iron shots to boost up my anemia before pregnancy and although slightly under it was the best i could do. I got pregnant shortly after and the funny thing is my body did a dramatic thing, i got great blood work results. Now in my third trimester im anemic again. But the dr is not overly concerned i just take iron supplements, don't even take the prenatals anymore. My stomach can't handle all of it. She seems to think as long as you eat well you don't really need to worry about the other vitamins. So i take calcium and iron supplement. Im not even very good at taking them. It's hard to remember both a day. The baby will take what it needs. Unfortunetely it puts you at a loss but the baby is fine.

I want to make a bread from a recipe posted here using teff flour. So I looked up to see what teff is and it is very high in iron. I think bob's red mill has it in a flour. I'm hoping anyway I checked in three stores so far and haven't found it but the store I think I'll find it in will probably have it. I'll know tonight. Every little bit helps so maybe boost your G.F. flour mix with teff. <_<

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.