This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh...maybe?

leslieack

leslieack Newbie

Hi--

I appreciate any help anyone can offer, and sorry if this got posted more than once, I'm still new to the site...that said, I was diagnosed with Celiac (confirmed by biopsy and blood work) a few months ago, but for a variety of reasons, including being asymptomatic, the gluten free diet was not recommended at that time. I recently broke out in EXTREMELY itchy red bumps that, at first, I dismissed as mosquito bites...except they itch and burn worse than any bug bite I've had in my life, and they look more like blisters than bug bites, and they are on both sides of my body.

So I guess I have two questions. First, does this sound like DH, as I know thats a possibility given that I've eaten gluten and carry a Celiac diagnosis.

Second, and slightly more pressing, does anyone know of an OTC remedy or at least something to dull the burn/itch? I've tried benedryl and calamine lotion...anybody have any tricks that are more effective??

Any help is GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tephie Apprentice

Hi, welcome to the board!

Definately sounds like DH to me. I am curious though who told you not to follow the gluten free diet? That just seems crazy to me. Everything I have read, even if you are asymptomatic you are still doing damage, which is evidenced by your biopsy.

I have read a couple of posts mentioning something for the itch, but I am sorry I don't remember what it was. I also have DH, but mine don't itch that bad. Sorry I couldn't be of more help in that arena.

I hope some of the more knowledgeable (sp) can offer you some advice.

Stephanie

Hi--

I appreciate any help anyone can offer, and sorry if this got posted more than once, I'm still new to the site...that said, I was diagnosed with Celiac (confirmed by biopsy and blood work) a few months ago, but for a variety of reasons, including being asymptomatic, the gluten free diet was not recommended at that time. I recently broke out in EXTREMELY itchy red bumps that, at first, I dismissed as mosquito bites...except they itch and burn worse than any bug bite I've had in my life, and they look more like blisters than bug bites, and they are on both sides of my body.

So I guess I have two questions. First, does this sound like DH, as I know thats a possibility given that I've eaten gluten and carry a Celiac diagnosis.

Second, and slightly more pressing, does anyone know of an OTC remedy or at least something to dull the burn/itch? I've tried benedryl and calamine lotion...anybody have any tricks that are more effective??

Any help is GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks!!!

lovegrov Collaborator

It does sound like DH and that means you are now symptomatic. In fact, being diagnosed by blood work AND biopsy means you are symptomatic because celiac has already damaged your small bowel. I'm stunned that anybody would tell you not to go gluten-free after positive tests. If it was your doctor who told you that, find a new doctor.You need to go gluten-free for the rest of your life.

richard

Franceen Explorer

I will chime in, in agreement with all the others.

It definitely sounds like DH. DH is ALL I have - I have no other symptoms and I was directed to a gluten-free diet immediately.

The ONLY OTC cure for DH is a gluten-free diet!

It would be futile to try any creams, prescriptions, lotions, OTC pills - I did that for 3 years and got absolutely nowhere except to a body COVERED completely in blisters, scabs, bloody mess, and itching and pain.

Prednisone (prescription) will help it go away but it will only come right back when done with the course of treatment if you are not 100% gluten-free! And you should not take prednisone very long or very often - it has horrible side effects that aren't immediately apparent.

I recommend you do gluten-free immediately and for life - and find a new Doctor!

I know how awful the DH rash is - it is almost life-consuming, it can be that bad!

I wish you much luck (at being gluten-free)!!

PeggyV Apprentice

I agree with the others, you need to be gluten free. When I break out due to accidental gluten consumption I use the Benadryl spray. It helps a little bit, but not for long. I just wait and try to be more careful.

• 2 years later...
Harold1 Newbie

Interesting post dude....discussion are always helpful in one way or the other. Thanks for giving out information. It

bridgetm Enthusiast

I've always attributed the rash on my shoulders and upper arms to damage from a bad sunburn a few years back. It's a bunch of tiny bumps, kind of that chicken-skin, but rarely itches. I've tried various lotions, but it's come and gone for at least 2 years. I also have bumps and scabs on my scalp. I'm just starting a gluten-free diet (about a week in, but some cross-contamination and bad choices so I haven't been 100% gluten-free) and have noticed an improvement. Does that sound like DH?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived