Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annaem

Gluten On The Grill

Cross contamination question?

Does anyone know if gluten can be burned off on the grill. In other words, lets say food is barbequed on the same grill that contains gluten. Is the high heat killing the gluten protein. In other words, denaturing the protein so it no longers harms us. Can food still be contaminated on the grill?

Cross contamination question?

Does anyone know if gluten can be burned off on the grill. In other words, lets say food is barbequed on the same grill that contains gluten. Is the high heat killing the gluten protein. In other words, denaturing the protein so it no longers harms us. Can food still be contaminated on the grill?

If I recall, at last disccussion...gluten cannot be burned off by heat. Other will post regarding the scientificness.

That is really funny you posted this topic. I am out of town and we had a BBQ and I swear I got sick from the CC on the grill. The reason I know is because everything else was gluten-free! I think it is the same concept as a toaster.

Kassandra

There was a thread on this a while ago. I think the bottom line is that while it is theoretically possible to get gluten hot enough that its structure changes to a non-harmful form, it is not likely to happen on a grill or in most kitchens.

The other point is that even the most charred chunk of residue on a grill can have a relatively intact inner core.

My opinion is that a scraped and then heated grill is relatively low risk but not risk free. I have no scientific basis for that.