Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jo Ann

Superfine Brown Rice Flour

Heard so much about Annalise Roberts' gluten-free Cookbook, that I've decided to buy one since it's not in any of our libraries. However, I know she uses superfine brown rice flour from Authentic Foods. Cannot get this in any stores in our area, and ordering on line costs more for s/h than the product. Does anyone know a better way to get this flour? In the past I've used Bette Hagman's mix (2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 potato starch & 1/3 tapioca starch). Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Jo Ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Heard so much about Annalise Roberts' gluten-free Cookbook, that I've decided to buy one since it's not in any of our libraries. However, I know she uses superfine brown rice flour from Authentic Foods. Cannot get this in any stores in our area, and ordering on line costs more for s/h than the product. Does anyone know a better way to get this flour? In the past I've used Bette Hagman's mix (2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 potato starch & 1/3 tapioca starch). Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Jo Ann

Do you have a nearby source for Bob's Red Mill products? I use their brown rice flour with that cookbook all the time. I have great results with it.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I haven't tried the Bob's version, so I can't speak to that. I did buy 3 bags of it on Amazon and it ended up costing $5 per pound. But I combine it with the cheapy flour from the asian market. You need 2 cups of the AF flour for every 3 cups of mix you make.

There may be a health food store in your area that can special order it for you. I've called around and found a few that can order it for me. But the first bag lasted me a month and about ten dozen muffins and several dozen cupcakes.

It's pretty fabulous with her recipes.

I agree with NewGFMom.

Do you have any kind of health food store near you? I live outside any metro. area and managed to find a little hole-in-the-wall vitamin supplment/health food store (it's in a small shopping plaza...that tells you how tiny it is). Anyway, the lady in there is really nice and happy for the business. She only has one wall with a few food items. But I told her about my diet, and now I can tell her what I want, and she will order it for me (if it's a company she has a "deal" with). Anyway, her mark-up on the product is still WAY-LESS-expensive than ordering everything offline. It's just a thought.

Good luck to you! -Julie :)

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).