Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jo Ann

Superfine Brown Rice Flour

Heard so much about Annalise Roberts' gluten-free Cookbook, that I've decided to buy one since it's not in any of our libraries. However, I know she uses superfine brown rice flour from Authentic Foods. Cannot get this in any stores in our area, and ordering on line costs more for s/h than the product. Does anyone know a better way to get this flour? In the past I've used Bette Hagman's mix (2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 potato starch & 1/3 tapioca starch). Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Jo Ann

Heard so much about Annalise Roberts' gluten-free Cookbook, that I've decided to buy one since it's not in any of our libraries. However, I know she uses superfine brown rice flour from Authentic Foods. Cannot get this in any stores in our area, and ordering on line costs more for s/h than the product. Does anyone know a better way to get this flour? In the past I've used Bette Hagman's mix (2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 potato starch & 1/3 tapioca starch). Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Jo Ann

Do you have a nearby source for Bob's Red Mill products? I use their brown rice flour with that cookbook all the time. I have great results with it.

I haven't tried the Bob's version, so I can't speak to that. I did buy 3 bags of it on Amazon and it ended up costing $5 per pound. But I combine it with the cheapy flour from the asian market. You need 2 cups of the AF flour for every 3 cups of mix you make.

There may be a health food store in your area that can special order it for you. I've called around and found a few that can order it for me. But the first bag lasted me a month and about ten dozen muffins and several dozen cupcakes.

It's pretty fabulous with her recipes.

I agree with NewGFMom.

Do you have any kind of health food store near you? I live outside any metro. area and managed to find a little hole-in-the-wall vitamin supplment/health food store (it's in a small shopping plaza...that tells you how tiny it is). Anyway, the lady in there is really nice and happy for the business. She only has one wall with a few food items. But I told her about my diet, and now I can tell her what I want, and she will order it for me (if it's a company she has a "deal" with). Anyway, her mark-up on the product is still WAY-LESS-expensive than ordering everything offline. It's just a thought.

Good luck to you! -Julie :)