Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gfgypsyqueen

Little One Reacting To Gluten

It's sad when a gluten raction brings happiness to Mom! My 2 yr old has been sick, not growing, constant ear infections, rashes, etc. She was tested for Celiacs, but results were inconclusive. She went dairy free nad had improvements, but still has problems. So I finally broke down and made her gluten-free. Many people kept suggesting it. Well, she's been gluten-free for about 3 weeks. She got into some wheat a few days ago and she is havign a reaction complete with diarrhea, rash, and moody!!!! Even the daycare noticed she is not her happy wild little self! Even better when people who know nothing about this disease can see the changes. The rash is the same insanely itchy rash she used to get before dairy was removed. I know she has not had any dairy. Purely gluten-free she had formed poops - a first for her! Now full blown liquid diarrhea. Sorry TMI. :unsure: I am just excited that we may have found the source of her issues, finally! Also just found a holistic doctor that should be able to help boost her immune system. Finally turning the corner in her health!!! :P Yippie!!!

I am doing the happy dance for you! It is always so much better to know what is wrong, and luckily it is something that can be taken care of by removing gluten from her meals. Good luck with your new doctor, let us know how that works out for you.

The way I see it is that traditional Drs have told me they do not know what else to do about the ear infections. The gastro yells at me. I've stopped going. The holistic Drs have worked wonders for me in the past and I have been to a meet the Dr session to see first hand what he does. I love it. So in a few weeks the youngest will go and hopefully be on to a healthier life!

Guest Doll
It's sad when a gluten raction brings happiness to Mom! My 2 yr old has been sick, not growing, constant ear infections, rashes, etc. She was tested for Celiacs, but results were inconclusive. She went dairy free nad had improvements, but still has problems. So I finally broke down and made her gluten-free. Many people kept suggesting it. Well, she's been gluten-free for about 3 weeks. She got into some wheat a few days ago and she is havign a reaction complete with diarrhea, rash, and moody!!!! Even the daycare noticed she is not her happy wild little self! Even better when people who know nothing about this disease can see the changes. The rash is the same insanely itchy rash she used to get before dairy was removed. I know she has not had any dairy. Purely gluten-free she had formed poops - a first for her! Now full blown liquid diarrhea. Sorry TMI. :unsure: I am just excited that we may have found the source of her issues, finally! Also just found a holistic doctor that should be able to help boost her immune system. Finally turning the corner in her health!!! :P Yippie!!!

I always say that an inconclusive biopsy in a child (they are sometimes hard to positively diagnose) means the same thing as an "abnormal" biopsy. She obviously has some inflammation, irritation, damage, etc.

Without all the history in your sig, I might say that she might have a wheat allergy or temporary wheat intolerance, which many young children do and grow out of (but not always).

BUT with that family history, symptoms, and biopsy, she is likely to be Celiac. You are doing the right thing keeping her gluten-free. But you knew that. ;)

Best of luck with the little one, and I hope she grows up happy and healthy! :) Yay!

P.S. Holistic doctors have got it going on! Hopefully one will mentor me. :)