Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DMS

Do Sky High Antibody Levels Mean Higher Risk?

Help! I left my doctors office today feeling a little lost. I was recently diagnosed and have sky-high endo antibody levels (over 2500) . I asked my GP if that meant that I had a higher chance of having significant damage? (I know my intestine is levelled but what about all the cancer risks that you read about) He was very honest and said he didn't know the answer ... I am just wondering if there is anything that I could/should be doing now to check and see what damage I have done.. What types of testing is commonly done post-diagnosis?? Any one else out there can relate? Its been about 6 weeks since I found out difinitively, and I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed..

Mom of Three!

The main thing you must do is commit to a 100% gluten free life because even a smidgen of gluten can do damage.

Your intestines will heal. My mom was finally diagnosed when she was truly near death from malnutrition....she weighed about 85 lbs at that time and the doctor said her intestines looked smooth as a billiard ball. She had a follow-up endoscopy about 6-8 months later and the villi were back and things looked pretty good. They warned her about the possibility of cancer, particularly stomach cancer. WELL......this all took place 40+ years ago....she's now 85 and healthy as can be, no sign of cancer ever!

So my best advice is take this seriously, you largely control the outcome. From this moment on be seriously gluten free! That's the part YOU control. By ensuring you are gluten free, you stop the inflammation process which could be a boon to cancer cells.

I'm not entirely sure of this, but the impression I've gotten from what I've read is that antibody levels have more to do with just how our different individual immune systems produce antibodies - some people produce more than others and they could still have the same level of damage. After all, some people have a completely flattened intestine and NO antibodies at all.

Anyway, if you keep 100% gluten free, your risk of intestinal cancer returns to the level of a healthy person as far as I know, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Pauliina