Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nathan's mom

I Live In Oregon

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone lives near me with young kids that just happen to eat things made with xanthum gum and lots of egg whites? :lol:

I live about 30 minutes north of Eugene and 90 minutes south of Portland. Anyone feel the need from time to time to introduce or set up playdates with other celiac kids? I want my son to learn to live in the real world, but that also includes letting him meet other celiacs like him!

Has anyone ever organized such playdates? What do you do, take an ad out in the newspaper to find out whose out there?

Debbie

I like in Salem! I don't have any kids, but I know there is a Salem ROCK (Raising Our Celiac Kids) group.

Also, have you been to "living Earth bakery" in corvallis? It's a completely gluten-free bakery, they make the BST gluten-free bread!!

Anyway, Email me if I can help!!

Thanks Adelle. I found the ROCK coordinator listed for Salem and emailed her. It's a bit of a drive for me, but it would be worth it. I thought I would see what it is like and perhaps try to form a chapter closer to me. I KNOW there has to be other Celiac kids nearby.

Yes, we went to the Living Earth Bakery in Corvallis. It was SO FUN to take my son in there and let him pick out whatever he wanted.

Debbie

I LOVE that bakery!! We eat bread from there nearly every day. The whole grain is my favorite. I have had DREAMS about those cinnamon rolls!! Oh man!! You can also do special orders which (if it's a drive for you) I reccomend because they sell out FAST sometimes. I ordered bread, ladyfingers, cupcakes, brownies, and pizzacrusts for my birthday, I almost went into a carb coma.... *drools*

Is your kiddo dairy free too?? I know they do some dairy free as well (the sandwich bread is for sure). And Nechama (pronounced neehama like rhyming with mama) made "chocolate" cupcakes once that were dairy free. SO good (and I am not a chocolate person).

Anyway, hope you find some sillyak kids near you!

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone lives near me with young kids that just happen to eat things made with xanthum gum and lots of egg whites? :lol:

I live about 30 minutes north of Eugene and 90 minutes south of Portland. Anyone feel the need from time to time to introduce or set up playdates with other celiac kids? I want my son to learn to live in the real world, but that also includes letting him meet other celiacs like him!

Has anyone ever organized such playdates? What do you do, take an ad out in the newspaper to find out whose out there?

Debbie

Debbie, Are you still on this site? My family just moved back to OR from AK, to Brownsville, and just diagnosed by daughter (almost 5) and husband with celiacs. We are still trying to decide what to do about testing the rest of the family. My mom was recently diagnosed with colon cancer at 53, which is some of why we moved back, and I am unsure if I am going to go through the whole testing thing before going gluten-free. My daughter (youngest of our three, turning one soon) patch tested for gluten intolerance at one month old.

Anyway, I'm looking for support groups for kids and moms!

Thanx.

Stephanie

Debbie, Are you still on this site? My family just moved back to OR from AK, to Brownsville, and just diagnosed by daughter (almost 5) and husband with celiacs. We are still trying to decide what to do about testing the rest of the family. My mom was recently diagnosed with colon cancer at 53, which is some of why we moved back, and I am unsure if I am going to go through the whole testing thing before going gluten-free. My daughter (youngest of our three, turning one soon) patch tested for gluten intolerance at one month old.

Anyway, I'm looking for support groups for kids and moms!

Thanx.

Stephanie

Our SW Washington/Portland ROCK chapter is having its 2009 kickoff party on the 24th. The location hasn't been posted yet, but here is the contact info/website. We are always excited to have new people join our group!

http://www.vanceliackids.com/Home.html