This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could It Be Celiac Disease?

flower.fox38

flower.fox38 Newbie

Could someone please tell me if my symptoms look like Celiac Disease, or something else? I have done some research, and it looks similar to Celiac.. (can't get a test right now, we have no coverage at all...) And srry if this is a long post..

Started: About 1 year ago, I was eating sushi in a restaurant. Seems normal, right? Well, my sister and I were both sick after, because of something in the fish. And not vomiting, but nausia, bloating, that sort of thing.

Anyways, ever since then, whenever I eat rice, wheat products, or products containing lactose (which I noticed later on), I become very bloated. There may be other products, but I think these are the main ones.

I DO have other allergies: peanuts, kiwi, raw pineapple, polysporin, and possibly basil (which makes me feel sick and as if I had bile in my mouth... >_O). I'm also allergic to dust - I think. Excess dust makes my nose swell up and get all shiny.. and go slightly red. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer actually isn't that far off.. would a wheat allergy be? >_O

Major symptoms in the past year.. do any of these match?

-Bloating!!

-Fatigue.. a lot of general weakness and lack of energy..

-recent irritability

-light headaches that are semi-frequent

-a mild fever that REFUSES to go away

-a bit of numbness in my hands (but I also have displaced tendons, which could be a factor)

-I HAD a potassium deficiency, which caused major muscle cramps, but it may have come back

-I have sinus problems on occasion... a bit more than I should I think

-Irregular menstrual cycle, occasionally missing a month?!

-Heat related fatigue, and not the usual kind. Any kind of humidity hits me VERY hard, and in combination with the usual heat saps my energy completely and far too quickly... much more than it used to. Didn't have this last year.

-Heart palpitations.. I don't know where these have been coming from, and they come at seemingly random times. >_O

-A lot of extra mucus has showed up.. I can't get rid of it! And a very weird feeling in my throat, like a lump of mucus is stuck back there. When I laugh, there is also a really dry cough/wheeze before it.

-Dehydration.. I also have really really dry skin..

On the side... pertinent?(this probably doesn't matter, but it can't hurt to say, right?)

-Weight gain problems: I have always had weight gain problems. I am constantly underweight, with a bmi of about 16 - 17. I'm currently about 20 pounds underweight. Is it my metabolism? Maybe.. I can eat almost anything without gaining weight. Other options include the possiblity of parasites.. But some days I eat like a bird - or, rather, less than a bird would..

-Tunnel vision: For the past few years, I can't lie down for more than a few minutes and get up without my vision going almost completely black. It takes about 7 seconds for it to get back to normal. Sometimes happen if I've sat down for more than 1/2 hour..

-I have a really crappy immune system ... which might account for some of the above symptoms..?

I've done some research, and a lot of my symptoms are leading me to think this could be Celiac Disease. I read that a symptom was lactose intolerance.. Could is be this? Or a parasite? (with my weird weight problems and crap-tastic immune system, it doesn't sound that out of the way.. *sigh* ) A combination of the two, or something different?

If someone could shed some light on this it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nora-n Rookie

ere in thiscountry we have this quick home test for ttg2-antibodies.. I guess you do not have it yet in the US?

Might be thyroid too as well.

Have you heard about muscle testing, it is free and one can do it at home, you hold a food and someone else presses down your other arm....it is not completely reliable, though. but worth a try. You can have candida too . Incidantally, a candida diet is very very similar to a gluten-free diet but without the gluten-free bread and starches....(A lady named Karen Tripp has some good pages and some very interesting links on her webpage, just google her name )

nora

CarlaB Enthusiast

You can try the gluten-free diet and see what your dietary response is. Be sure you also cut out dairy since you also react to that.

I would also look into Lyme Disease. Open Original Shared Link for a symptom list, Open Original Shared Link, and Open Original Shared Link (message board). ALL your symptoms fit Lyme/babesia, even the food intolerances. Lyme can cause low blood pressure, which causes the blacking out. Babesia causes the heart palpitations and weight loss/lack of appetite. Well, I can go on, but I'll let you check it out.

mftnchn Explorer

I would also wonder about some kind of parasite infection since you first got ill eating raw fish.

Archived