This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice?

missmelissa21

missmelissa21 Rookie

Hey...I'm new here. I'm not diagnosed as Celiac and do not know of any food intolerances/allergies that I may have. I do have many environmental allergies though (All three of the grasses they tested me for, oak, birch, maple and elm trees, 2 molds, 2 mites cottonwood, etc.). Anyway I'm wondering if anyone here has ever heard of/has an intolerance or allergy to white rice. I was eating my dinner today, which was sweet and sour chicken over white rice and I had felt fine all day/yesterday. After dinner I had really bad/foul gas and felt ill. My stomach made all kinds of noises. After thinking for a little while, I realized that I feel badly like this every thursday during my night class (Coincidentally on thursday nights there is almost always some type of stir fry over rice.)

Hmmm...Just a thought.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

You could try eating plain rice all by itself another time and see how you feel. Could it be MSG that's bothering you? I have heard of rice allergy/intolerance but as someone with celiac disease there are several things I would have to wonder about the stir fry. There may be gluten containing ingredients or cross-contamination.

missmelissa21 Rookie
You could try eating plain rice all by itself another time and see how you feel. Could it be MSG that's bothering you? I have heard of rice allergy/intolerance but as someone with celiac disease there are several things I would have to wonder about the stir fry. There may be gluten containing ingredients or cross-contamination.

Except I'm not sure if I have a problem with gluten. I could, but at this point I have no idea. I'm not gluten free or anything right now.

Juliebove Rising Star

People can have a rice allergy but it is not one of the more common ones. You could also be allergic to chicken or one of the other ingredients.

MammaW Newbie

My one year old is allergic to rice....it is a very rare thing in this country our allergist says. Of course it is the first thing I gave him for solids and he would projectile vomit it every time. We had him tested (RAST) and sure enough. Also when I found out he was allergic, I gave it up too as I was nursing and his rash cleared up...he had had this rash for months.

missmelissa21 Rookie

Ok, so am the OP for this one. Turns out, my GI upset that I thought was due to rice continued to become worse all week. Thursday night I ended up in the ER. I couldn't drink anything because I was so nauseaous and I had explosive "D". Turned out I had a UTI, supposedly. Anyway, I being treated for that and I am feeling a bit better, but its weird that I got a UTI without any obvious symptoms. I'm not even prone to getting them...I've never had one before.

Archived