Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FootballFanatic

This Is How I'm Hosting My First gluten-free Thanksgiving

I found a recipe in our supermarkets magazine, I really wanted to break the mold of the traditional meal as it is not completely Celiac-Friendly...I also think this will help me with the coping, this is about new beginnings which means new traditions for me. So, this is "Roasted Cornish Hens with Apple, Date, and Almond Stuffing:

2 tbsp unsalted butter

4-6 Fuji apples(2lbs), chopped

10 dates, pitted, chopped

1 lemon, zest and juice(Be sure to wash this thoroughly from gluten hands that may have touched them in the store)

1 orange, zest and juice (Be sure to wash this thoroughly from gluten hands that may have touched them in the store)

1/2 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 onion, roughly chopped

1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped

2 stalks celery, roughly chopped

4 Cornish hens, 1.25 lbs each

Melt butter in large saute pan over Medium-Low heat, when sizzling add apples and saute until brown but still crispy (15-20 min).Add dates, zests and juices, cook for 1 more minute.

Mix onion, carrot, and celery; place on bottom of roasting pan.

Preheat oven to 475. Remove and discard giblets and necks from hens. Rinse hens under cool water and pat dry. Trim excess fat. Season cavities with salt and pepper, then loosly stuff with apple mixture. Truss hens. Place hens, breast side up, on top of vegetables. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 475 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 400 and roast for 35 minutes, or until juices run clear.

HOW EASY IS THAT GUYS. I haven't completely planned out the rest of the meal but I was thinking maybe roasted potatoes and green beans.

I just think it's so cool to find gluten free recipes that aren't even made specially for those of us with Celiac.

Feel free to offer more suggestions if you are hosting this year :)

Happy holidays.

10-06 Diagnosed Urinary Tract Infection (Allergic to Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, Doxycycline, Monocycline, Penicillin) - This UTI is still present with no symptoms.

10-06 Diagnosed "Acid Reflux" (Nexium didn't work)

12-06 Endoscopy diagnosed Gastritis (Negative Bioposy)

12-06 Negative bloodwork for Celiac Disease, Diagnosed "Gastroparesis" - Started Zelnorm

1-07 Diagnosed "IBS-C" - Still taking Zelnorm

3-07 HIDA scan to check gallbladder which was fully functional.

3-07 Zelnorm taken off market, started Domperidone

4-21-07 Emergency Appendectomy (FUUUNN!)

7-24-07 Enterolab results came back positive

Gluten Free since that night....

...Still not feeling great.

"Don't expect constant success, but strive for constant growth."

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I make my own green bean casserole.

This year I am crushing the EnerG pretzels for the topping. I use real onions in with the green beans so you still get that flavor. I make my own mushroom soup with CF butter or oil (depends upon my mood), soy milk, thickener (Bob's baking mix or a starch of some kind).

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

last year my traditional gluten-free dinner went great! this year, gonna make more pies!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

I make my own green bean casserole.

This year I am crushing the EnerG pretzels for the topping. I use real onions in with the green beans so you still get that flavor. I make my own mushroom soup with CF butter or oil (depends upon my mood), soy milk, thickener (Bob's baking mix or a starch of some kind).

You can also use carmelized onions on the top for green bean casserole.

Join eNewsletter

I do a totally "traditional" Thanksgiving. It's posted somewhere on another thread, but I'll recap here.

Turkey

Stuffing - homemade with Ener-G Brown Rice Bread and cornbread

Mashed potatoes - red potatoes with skins left on

Gravy - thickened with sweet rice flour

Sweet Potato slices - sweetened with maple syrup

Homemade cranberry sauce

Green Beans

Relish Tray

Fruit Salad

Rolls - Gluten Free Pantry Country French Bread baked in muffin tins. Put in the oven when turkey comes out and they're hot and delicious for dinner

Pumpkin pie - two dairy free and egg free with gluten-free crust and I let my mom make a "normal" one that is cut in a separate place (the only gluten allowed at all last year and I think I'm going to give her my flour mix this year to make a gluten-free crust instead)

Sparkling Cider - We don't drink, but this adds to the festivities and the kids all love it.

I LOVE Thanksgiving food and can't imagine changing traditions when it's been so easy to change a few things and still have the regular meal. I always have a houseful and no one minds a bit. My stuffing seems to be a big hit and even the rolls are always eaten up.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter