Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miriam3

Need Help Finding Easy/tasty gluten-free Bread Mix!

Help! My mom is being a total angel about gluten-free this Thanksgiving. It took her some time to come around, but she has been super-supportive about the family Thanksgiving and wants to make a gluten-free version of her famous holiday nut bread for me. She called me asking for gluten-free flour substitutes and I'm trying to find a good solution for her. Not sure what to tell her though!

It's a yeast-rising bread that she rolls up almost like a giant cinnamon-roll loaf after she spreads it with the nut filling. She doesn't have all the gluten-free flours/xanthan gum/etc. so I think the easiest thing would be to point her to a gluten-free bread mix that she can mix and use. She does her breads by hand without a bread maker.

Anybody have a suggestion that's reasonably easy to find at Whole Foods or somewhere and tastes good? I'm trying to avoid Bob's Red Mill. That garbanzo taste would seriously ruin mom's bread.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Pamela's Wheat Free (gluten-free) Bread Mix might do the trick. I've used it to make bread, and pizza crust before.

I make breads from scratch these days, but will absolutely use the Pamela's mix in a pinch. I think it's pretty decent.

I've also used Pamela's Pancake and Baking mix as an all-purpose flour replacement, but I have NOT tried that one in a yeast bread- only quick breads and cakes, etc.

Edit-- Cudos to your mom for making this effort! :D

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

I have had good luck with Pamelas Amazing Bread Mix, I've made cinnamon rolls several times with this mix and they've turned out great everytime. I don't use a bread maker either, I prepared the dough with my hand mixer and the dough hook attachments.

The dough is a little sticky to work with but I just have extra plain rice flour on hand to flour the dough and the roll out surfaces.

You can find it Pamela's mixes at Whole Foods.

Join eNewsletter

I think the Amazing Bread mix that Julie's talking about is the same one I've used.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

I think the Amazing Bread mix that Julie's talking about is the same one I've used.

Hi Sarah, I think we posted at the same time :lol:

It should be the same mix, I'm pretty sure Pamela's only has one bread mix called Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix.

Miriam, just to add- there are directions on the package for breadmaker as well as mixing it by hand. Also, Pamela's doesn't use bean flours. The yeast packet is inside the package, so you just need eggs, water, and oil.

I'm sure a bread mix would work for your mom's recipe, it sounds delicious...... and how sweet is your mom?!?!?!

Join eNewsletter

Thanks guys! Yeah, mom is sweet. I checked after you recommended it and the local organic market has Pamela's. The box even has a recipe for using it as a sweet bread, and I think that's what will taste best with mom's recipe. I'll let you know how it works out!

Join eNewsletter

Have any of you found a pre-made bread that is decent? The brown rice bread that I found at whole foods should be used as a paper weight and I bought a corn bread that crumbled into nothing. I actually had to eat it with a spoon.

Any advice?

Newly diagnosed Celiac

Gluten free since 10/24/07

Diagnosed by Biopsy

All blood tests were negative

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter