Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Csomi

Virus Or Just Celiac?

Dear All,

I am a new member in great desperation. I was diagnosed in February by biopsy with celiac, and proudly I have been on the diet without too badly craving for my Sicilian in-laws bread and pizza. To keep the story short, in August, September, and just now I had very severe symptoms, fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, through up, migraine, and being in bed for a week. The doctor said that it is a virus, but now the third time they did a blood test for bacteria which came back negative. My collegues had similar but much milder sympthoms, but I am jsut too scared to be so sick so often even though I am keeping the diet well. Can I be jsut unlucky picking up viruses so frequently, if yes, how can I prevent it? Or shall I think about lactose ntollarence r something liek that? Any advice I would greatly appreciate.

Csomi

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sometimes we have to remember that all roads don't lead to Celiac. It may be a virus of some sort.. But I rather think no. Recovering from Celiac your immune system goes into hyper mode and it is not often that you get sick.

I was gluten free for some time and the familiar gluten like symptoms returned. I found that I was reacting to dairy as I would have to gluten. I eliminated dairy for about four months and reintroduced it. I had no further problems. Your villi need to heal some before they can handle dairy. This is very common here.

Give that a go for a week or two and see if you see improvements in your systems.

PS: B-12 shots or sublingual (under the tongue) would help you with your fatigue.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

If you have a virus, it won't show up on a bacteria blood test. They're two different things. And depending on how much you've healed or if you've gotten glutened recently, your immune system may still be a bit weaker than your coworkers so that could be why you're more sick than them. I wouldn't be too concerned right now. Keep eating healthy, getting lots of rest, and you'll get better soon.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter