Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ruthla

Stocking The Gfcf Kitchen

I'm going food shopping tomorrow, at a store with a decent gluten-free selection, and I'm not sure exactly what I need to get for Thanksgiving (and general) cooking.

I know I need more coconut milk- will rice flour be enough to cover all my other cooking/baking needs such as gravy and pie crusts? (I do have almond meal in the house.)

Do I need to replace my baking powder if it's been used wtih wheat baking? Should I get separate measuring spoons for gluten-free stuff? It's not realistic for me to have a completely gluten-free house right now- my kids still eat the stuff.

Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you're CF you might want to get a butter sustitute , like Ghee(that's labeled CF) or Earthbalance.

Definitely don't use your old baking soda, baking powder and baking spices for making your gluten-free food.

Rice flour will be fine for the gravy but you'll most likely need a blend of flours/starches for the crust. I've seen good recommendations for the Gluten Free Pantry's crust mix.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I guess it would depend on what all you plan to make. I don't do a lot of baking. I keep a four flour mix, sweet rice flour, brown rice flour, white rice flour, cornstarch, corn meal, and occasionally buy other flours as needed.

I never use coconut milk. I sometimes use rice milk or Vance's Dari Replacer. Sometims plan water will work.

As for your baking powder/soda and spices... Replacing them depends on you. If you dip a spoon into it that has been previously dipped in gluten, then yes, you would need to replace them. I don't do that. In fact I am more likely to measure these things by pouring them into my hand. Stuff like cinnamon and nutmeg, I tend to just sprinkle in.

You may need to get separate baking pans though and a separate toaster. You may even want a separate refrigerator or separate shelf or place to keep the gluten free food. If someone dips a knife into peanut butter, then swipes it on a piece of wheat bread, then dips it back into the jar, they are glutening the peanut butter.

My daughter has her own little fridge and some shelves for her other food. I got rid of all the gluten in the house except for a few things. Gluten is not an issue for me (but I have other food allergies), or my husband. I buy an occasional loaf of bread for myself, wheat tortillas, and sometimes crackers. I am very careful to keep them away from her foods. For my husband, I will buy prepared things like packages of meat/cheese/crackers, breakfast burritoes, sandwiches, meatloaves, etc. I just find it easier that way.

Join eNewsletter

OK, I was able to get Xanthan gum and white rice flour at the store today, from their "gluten free" section. I'm all set for this week's baking.

I know I've seen cheaper rice flour in the "spanish foods" section of supermarkets located in areas with a high Hispanic population. IIRC, it was around the same price as wheat flour. Can I safely buy that kind of rice flour, or is there too high a risk of gluten contamination?

Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

Join eNewsletter

OK, I was able to get Xanthan gum and white rice flour at the store today, from their "gluten free" section. I'm all set for this week's baking.

I know I've seen cheaper rice flour in the "spanish foods" section of supermarkets located in areas with a high Hispanic population. IIRC, it was around the same price as wheat flour. Can I safely buy that kind of rice flour, or is there too high a risk of gluten contamination?

I and many other celiacs in my area buy rice flour from Thailand in the International section of the store or in the asian market without problem. Read the label and see if it has any info about "shared equipment" or "in a facility that also processes". I have seen some cornmeal with these statements on the label.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I've found that starches work better for thickening gravey than plain rice flour. Though sweet rice flour or glutenous rice flour (which contains no gluten) works fairly well. I usually use potato starch to thicken gravy and soup.

I'm going food shopping tomorrow, at a store with a decent gluten-free selection, and I'm not sure exactly what I need to get for Thanksgiving (and general) cooking.

I know I need more coconut milk- will rice flour be enough to cover all my other cooking/baking needs such as gravy and pie crusts? (I do have almond meal in the house.)

Do I need to replace my baking powder if it's been used wtih wheat baking? Should I get separate measuring spoons for gluten-free stuff? It's not realistic for me to have a completely gluten-free house right now- my kids still eat the stuff.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter