• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Emma's Mom

Toddler/preschooler Mood/behaviour

Rate this topic

Hello again. It's been a while since I've been around...but seems like I keep ending up here. I'm trying an elimination diet with my daughter as my gut keeps telling me that she is likely a Celiac.

I have a question for those of you whose children were diagnosed or made it through the toddler/preschooler years with Celiac disease. I am curious what your child's mood and behaviour was like prior to eliminating gluten from their diet? How would you describe them? In retrospect what sort of things do you now see that were attributed to consuming gluten and just weren't a part of your child's personality or developmental stage?

Thanks so much. I have a feeling I'll be hanging around :)

Interesting question. My son (now age 9) went gluten free at age 8 after years of digestive problems and chronic sinus problems. As a preschooler, he was anxious all the time almost to the point of OCD. Things had to be "just so". When he started kindergarten, he was unable to concentrate on tasks that required fine motor skills (such as writing or tying his shoe laces). I realize that some of his issues may have been developmental, however, in the past year his handwriting has improved tremendously (A's versus D's) and I no longer have teachers telling me he shows signs of ADHD. He's also much more relaxed and no longer runs out of the house in terror when I accidentally set the smoke detector off from taking fried chicken out of the oven :P

My oldest grandson (now 5) used to be extremely emotional. If he'd hurt himself, or you just looked at him the wrong way, he'd be crying and crying, sometimes for hours. He was also clingy and whiny. His mother thought he was a wimp and often ignored him and wouldn't comfort him.

Finally, after years of this, she made her family (herself and five kids, her husband will eat gluten at work) all gluten-free. And what a miraculous change in Ethan! Within a week he stopped being so emotional. Now he'll cry briefly when he hurts himself (like any other normal kid), and get back to happily playing. He is also finally gaining weight, he was frighteningly thin before gluten was eliminated from his diet. Also, he is now having solid bowel movements (he never had any before), and his 'growing pains' stopped.

HI!

WE are still in the process of getting an "offical" dx of Celiac. My daughter is 18 months old and goes for her biopsy next month. That will determine if we proceed as Celiac or Non Celiac gluten senstive (I know same treatment either way. My hubby wants the test) We noticed symptoms around 12 months of age. Around that time, we put her back on the diet that had not caused her any trouble (we thought some kind of food allergy). THe diet was fruit/veggies/ plain meat. The allergist put us onto 3 week food trials and when we got to wheat, her tummy troubles started back around week 2. Around day 30, we discovered the "terrible twos" had come back. Those had started around 12 months. My other two who exhibit Celiac symptoms went thru that stage very early as well. She is irratable. Did I say irratable?? i meant to say her evil twin took her place. She falls to the floor in ear splitting tantrums because I touched her juice cup. We are literally walking on egg shells because you never know what might set her off. She cannot sleep for more than an hour or 2 at a time. (slept thru the night before the wheat challenge) She eats two bites , nibbles, tastes molecules of her food at a time and eats that much around the clock. She also will devour dirt like it is ice cream. <_< She always looks tired and has the attitude to go with it. When she is happy she's HAPPY. When she is mad, she is MAD. I think the difference between "normal" toddler behaviour and Celiac toddler behaviour is it so much more intense and directly relates to how her tummy is. The days we are constantly changing diapers are the worst. the days she only has one or two movements, she is much more easy going. I can't wait until we get the biopsy and can cut out gluten. Of course after hubby was awakened at least 4 times last night by her ear splitting screams, he may be reconsidering going another 21 days this way. We noticed the first time that it took right at a month to clear up the D and smooth out the attitude. I gave him a royal earful last night at 2:00am about keeping her on gluten. :angry: They all want to rule out any other condition (Cya is what I call it)

Anyway...

Stacie

Ps My oldest two who are not dx but who have had tummy aches, tummy troubles, and alternate between C and D, one is very moody, quick to anger, and easily upset - the other is a space cadet who lives in his own world and seems to walk to the beat of a different drum. They are going gluten free as well and we will see if any of that changes.

my daughter was the happiest, smilieat, cutest baby - till i introduced her to formula and solids. Then she became major clingy, wouldn't let me out her sight, and basically did her own things. She hardly moved from where i put her down, even after she walked - now i see she didn't have the strength! She did a lot of repetitive things. After being gluten free, her preschool teacher said "please put her back on gluten, she's wrecking everything :D " I said sorry, you have to get used to her, this is how she is!! But, it was like she had pent up energy and that settled and now she is a regular almost three year old!!