• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

num1habsfan

Catered Wedding Tomorrow.

Rate this topic

So today (the 31st) my cousin is getting married by a justice of the peace in a hotel here in Regina. They had emailed me the menu and I told him what I could have (which wasn't much) and that I wasnt sure about the sauces on the chicken and beef because I didnt know if they were gluten-free/lactose-free. I checked my email today and he said they are preparing a GLUCOSE free/lactose free meal :o . I HOPE he just made a typing slip and accidently put the wrong word.

Now SOMEHOW i'm going to have to talk to the cook and find out if it's gluten-free. I will feel bad if they went through all the trouble figuring out a meal for me and I can't eat it, but I'm not someone who could take the chance and get glutened, especially not at a wedding where I know it won't end early!!

Ahh this could be a nightmare. Some of those fancier hotels don't allow you to bring any food with yourself either (its a buffet) and I have never been to this hotel so i have no idea if they have any microwave access, either!! Cross your fingers for me... :huh:

~ Lisa ~

Fingers are crossed for you. I would eat before I went and take a couple of gluten-free snacks in my purse. I know from your past posts that if you get hungry enough you will grab something that may not be safe so please be extra careful. If they see you eating something they didn't make just tell them about your multiple food sensitivieies, you are not going there for a sit down restaurant dinner so I doubt you will even be questioned if you bring in a couple snacks.

So eat before you go, bring something with you in case the cook misunderstood your dietary needs and just enjoy yourself. Have a great time.

Fingers are crossed for you. I would eat before I went and take a couple of gluten-free snacks in my purse. I know from your past posts that if you get hungry enough you will grab something that may not be safe so please be extra careful. If they see you eating something they didn't make just tell them about your multiple food sensitivieies, you are not going there for a sit down restaurant dinner so I doubt you will even be questioned if you bring in a couple snacks.

So eat before you go, bring something with you in case the cook misunderstood your dietary needs and just enjoy yourself. Have a great time.

I wouldnt DARE to do that ever again (cheat). I'm pretty sure that was after one of my scopes?? I was sick from that and at the point didn't care too much. If I wasn't nearly puking from hunger I wouldn't have resorted to eating regular food. Much too sensative for that...

You'd NEVER catch me with a purse in my life, so I guess it's a good thing I'm taking a little bag kinda thing to carry my camera in. Then I'll have a place to hide some snack bars or something. We still didnt eat here at my apartment yet and the wedding starts at 4, so i won't go too long without food...

~ Lisa ~

Buffets are the easiest to fake with no one noticing you are eating something different.

I am too sensitive to cross constamination, so I don't trust catered affairs. I have a very small cooler bag that is no bigger than a camera case. I take food that does not need to be heated. I go to the buffet line and get a plate and maybe 1 or 2 safe looking items (veggies, cheese, fruit) and then I go back to my table and discretely pull out my safe food from home and place it on my plate.

I have never had anyone notice, even sitting with me at the same table, that I am eating my own food from home. What I take will vary depending on how long I expect to be there and what I know will be available. Sometimes, just cheese, crackers, dip, boiled eggs. Sometimes, chicken salad, or lox and a bagel. If I feel I must have a desert, I take that, too.

Good luck to you.

Buffets are the easiest to fake with no one noticing you are eating something different.

I am too sensitive to cross constamination, so I don't trust catered affairs. I have a very small cooler bag that is no bigger than a camera case. I take food that does not need to be heated. I go to the buffet line and get a plate and maybe 1 or 2 safe looking items (veggies, cheese, fruit) and then I go back to my table and discretely pull out my safe food from home and place it on my plate.

I have never had anyone notice, even sitting with me at the same table, that I am eating my own food from home. What I take will vary depending on how long I expect to be there and what I know will be available. Sometimes, just cheese, crackers, dip, boiled eggs. Sometimes, chicken salad, or lox and a bagel. If I feel I must have a desert, I take that, too.

Good luck to you.

Well like I said, they're supposed to be making me a separate plate thats not cooked the same as for the buffet line. So i'm still terrified of there being gluten in it...but a bagel is a good idea for sure. I wish I had internet on my cell phone, could keep you updated that way!

~ Lisa ~

Just got back from the wedding...it WAS in fact gluten-free and lactose-free...not only THAT, but I got served my plate the same time as the head table got their meal!! Before anyone else got to eat. And because everything was numbered and had assigned seating they knew just where to bring it. It was so filling, and so delicious. Also a HUGE relief because my mind was like "oh my god, i can't believe for once I DON'T have to worry about my food!!". I'll upload a picture of my plate after I go to sleep and wake up haha. Much too pooped.....now i remember why people call us "crazy ukrainians" :lol:

~ Lisa ~

Have been following this thread I'm so pleased for you!

Reminds me of when I went out once there was a part of the dessert I couldn't eat (the dessert was OK but there was a sauce containing gluten poured on it) and we let them know. I went to the loo and when I came back they had served the desserts and there was mine piled high with all this luscious fresh fruit that they had given me to replace the sauce way beyond what I thought would happen I thought I'd just get dessert minus the sauce :lol::lol: I felt so conspicuous and rather special

Edited by nutralady2001

Just got back from the wedding...it WAS in fact gluten-free and lactose-free...not only THAT, but I got served my plate the same time as the head table got their meal!! Before anyone else got to eat. And because everything was numbered and had assigned seating they knew just where to bring it. It was so filling, and so delicious. Also a HUGE relief because my mind was like "oh my god, i can't believe for once I DON'T have to worry about my food!!". I'll upload a picture of my plate after I go to sleep and wake up haha. Much too pooped.....now i remember why people call us "crazy ukrainians" :lol:

~ Lisa ~

That is great news! Me and 2 of my celiacs were at a wedding this weekend too..and the chef heard that there were 3 celiacs attending.. OUR meal was hand delivered and we had MORE food and better food thanthe wedding party! :-)

I felt so special LOL

So glad that it all worked out for you too.

Glad you had a really good experience at the wedding. I've been to so many through my work, tired after photographing all day, it is the most difficult time to be strong and not eat the food that you know is not good for you. The bring along doggy bag worked well for me too.

More chefs are understanding now though and I find, more fruit and vegetable trays at buffets. IN the beginning I was so odd. Now there is almost one other Celiac at every dinner. I still have to be careful though and ask specifically if what I'm getting is gluten free. One wedding, was Italian, so there was a first course of lasagna. They brought me a huge plate of gluten-free pasta. It looked different than anything I'd seen before so had to ask and they said yes, gluten free. I noticed one of the bride's maids got the same dish. So later I went over and asked if she was Celiac too? She said no, she was vegetarian. So they gave her the gluten free pasta too.

Thanks...just wish today wasn't my 5th anniversary of having Celiac, kind of ruins the moment...I've been quite miserable today because of it.

~ Lisa ~