Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know you can go thru enterolab to have the gene testing done, but has anyone had the gene testing thru your dr? I just found out our insurance WILL cover it, as long as it's thru our lab. I will talk to our dr, I just wanted to see if anyone else did this.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Our Dr. sent the tests out to Prometheus Labs.

Some of the results were questionable. Prometheus Labs comments to the questioning, "every lab test has at least a 30 % error rate (we were told the test was supposed to be 98% accurate), "genes mutate", and "must have fallen into the 2% range not detected".

The question? How can I not genetically match my biological daughter?

Further research has formed these hypothesis...

Not every Celiac gene is known/recognized. Columbia was doing a study of the somewhat common non Celiac gene parent to genetic Celiac child.

Fetalmaternalmicrochimarism (spelling could be wrong)

or I might be a chimera.

(All quite lovely reasons ~ I hate doctors! and genetic testing may not be the means to the answers you are seeking.)

Michigan

I know you can go thru enterolab to have the gene testing done, but has anyone had the gene testing thru your dr? I just found out our insurance WILL cover it, as long as it's thru our lab. I will talk to our dr, I just wanted to see if anyone else did this.

Yes. Dr. Green used Kimball Labs in Colorado. I was very impressed.

See if your doctor is willing to use Kimball. He can order a test kit directly from them and it will be there in 1-2 days, with everything ready to ship it back. You get results within days. Or, you can actually order it yourself to have it shipped to you or your doctor. But of course it's probably better to check with your doctor and see if he's willing to use them, in order to comply with insurance stuff.

Hope it works out for you.

Me and my two daughters did ours through our doctor for the same reason, insurance paid. We went to local Quest lab and they sent it to a Quest in Virginia. It took and 1-2 weeks for the results.