Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greendog

Celiac And Allergy Knowledge Mining

I'm 63 years old and I've worked in Healthcare Insurer Information Techology for the past 35 years. I spent 13 years in Management but the bulk of my time has been spent in the data collection, analysis and presentation space; (data base design and administration, business intelligence and knowledge management) I'm not a Celiac but cannot tolerate most forms of gluten. For instance a few crumbs of wheat bread gives me cramps, diarrea and fatigue, but I can drink some Lite Beers. Some forms of gluten seem to mess with my head and joints and others mess with my GI track. I am also allergic (or intolerant) to yeast, olives, broccoli, molds, and mites.

Seems to me that we have a lot of valuable raw data on this site and on the internet related to Celiacs Disease, Gluten Allergy and Gluten Intolerance. I say data, because in my field unless data has acted upon we can't really call it information. The rule is, if data is acted upon it becomes information, and if information is acted upon it becomes knowledge. So the question becomes, how do we take the raw data we have and store it in a manner that it can be acted upon so that it ultimately becomes knowledge. Like we create something like a SQL database that a Celic.com site member can query. Something like show me a list of all the members who have symptoms related to weight gain, irritable bowel syndrome, hair loss, fatigue, etc. and bam the list appears. And to add to the query, the member could say also show me the doctors they visited and the treatments and the success rates. Probably just a pipe dream, but I've been a Problem Solver almost all my life and this seems like a nice challenge for a grand cause.

"The decisions we make dictate the life we live. To thine on self be true."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):