Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misulli

Vitamins And Weight Loss - What To Expect

I am on the path to being gluten free after being diagnoses via enterolab. My question is: do most people lose weight when starting this diet? I am already quite thin (110 lbs, 5'4) and am concerned about losing too much more weight because of dietary changes. My main symptom over the last seven years has been uncontrollable and unpredictable D, which I can control using Immodium. (sorry for the graphics). While I am hoping (praying, pleading) that this will resolve with a gluten free diet, I am finding that I am eating less of heavier foods and more low cal/low fat veggies. Also, do many of you take a vitamin supplement? Is this advisable?

thanks!

Michelle

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I wouldn't worry much about your weight right now. Once you begin to heal, you'll be absorbing better, and that should help to get you closer to your ideal weight. Many do gain weight being gluten-free, especially if they had been underweight before.

It is easy to obtain good fats too, but what you eat will depend on your particular intolerances/allergies.

I think most of the members here take supplements, and yes, it is VERY advisable. Some common deficiencies are magnesium, B12, calcium, vitamin D, iron, zinc, vitamin C, and many more I'm sure.

HTH

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

I wouldn't be too concerned with your weight, for now.

Prior to my diagnosis I'd lost 55 lbs. in three months ( I could go to McDonalds, pack away a Big Mac, a Double 1/4 pounder w/ cheese, and two large fries and was losing weight like crazy: knockin' on heaven's door, if you will. )

Nowadays I weigh in about 5lbs heavier than I did the day I graduated from high-school. I'd wager you would gain a few pounds on the diet (assuming that gluten is indeed the culprit), and at 110 you could probably stand to gain a few anyway. And yes, supplements are a godsend (provided you get the gluten free variety >.<)

Good luck.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter