Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mousie_e

Resturants

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are there any mainstream resturants that have gluten free dishes? I don't have trader joes, I wish I did.

Welcome!

I expect that Ken will be here shortly to answer you questions.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Al;ready you kn ow me so well! :D

Welcome!

I expect that Ken will be here shortly to answer you questions.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Hi welcome to the forum.

A lot depends on what island<S> your on or visiting as well as what you mean by mainstream.

On Oahu Chef Mavro's and LeMer are great but also the most expensive. They do understand gluten-free meals and will prepare anything

as long as they have advance warning. there are also Outback's on 2 or 3 islands. Nicks Fish Market on Oahu also will prepare gluten-free meals. 12Th Ave Grill is a great place as is Town.

I like Alan Wong's, Roy's and DK Kodama's various places but they need to know way in advance.

Whole Foods is coming to Oahu in a few months but there are other health food stores on Oahu which have gluten-free selections.

India Cafe and India house are also good about being careful of cross contamination.

If you like sushi there are many places but bring a bottle of San-j Wheat Free soy sauce with you. Most of the grocery stores have it on Oahu and Here in Kona. I've found that for most of the sit down moderately prices places, if you give them advance warning and try to get though to the chef rather than just the person answering the phone, they will understand and be very helpful.

On the Big Island where I live almost all the resort hotels are very aware and keep a plethora of gluten-free items on hand. Again, just give them a call in the am that your coming. Even here in Captain Cook, the local Chinese place, Hong Kong Chop Suey, keeps wheat free soy sauce and can prepare a variety of great dishes.

If you let me know more about your stay or which island maybe I can think of more. Also dont forget to use the search function for Maui and Kauai and you'll find a number of messages.

Good luck & Aloha

Ken

Are there any mainstream resturants that have gluten free dishes? I don't have trader joes, I wish I did.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter