Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sydneysmommy

Endoscope Showed A Lot Of Sprue...despite Being gluten-free

I was diagnosed in 2001. And I am really frustrated as I had been having some more problems [getting full very fast etc] so my doc did an endoscope AND colonoscopy [had some other stupid issues as well] and come to find out... i have TONS of sprue active in the upper intestine!!!!

HOW!!?????

i am soooooooooooooooo gluten free it isnt even funny.

WHAT do i do? where do i go? do i start over? do i have to just go back to SCD diet? Am i the only one this has happened to? I am SO frustrated!

What is getting by me in food labels? Will I NEVER get to go to a restaurant again? And to make matters WORSE... gluten free products [if you want to gauruntee the saftey of what you eat] are SO DANG EXPENSIVE!

im really at a loss.

:(

Sara

Sara, Austin TX

Diagnosed Celiac Disease

2001 via endoscope

gluten free for 10 years!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sara, that must be very frustrating, especially if you know you are following the gluten-free diet.

Is your house gluten-free? Is there a chance of cross-contamination? Have you checked all your medicines (if you are taking any) and vitamins to make sure they are gluten-free?

Are you sharing a toaster used for gluten bread with somebody else? Or a colander for both kinds of pasta?

Do you use shampoo/conditioner, soap, lotion etc. that is gluten-free? It is possible to get glutened from those.

There can be reasons for damaged villi other than celiac disease. Dairy and soy can cause villi damage as well, and there are other possibilities you need to research and explore.

I hope you figure it out.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

how frustrating. i hope you can figure out what's bothering you. i would try somewhat of an elimination diet, and cut out big suspects - dairy, soy, corn, etc. i've tried to limit my dairy intake, and that's helped. i take lactaid when i can't resist. it's very hard to feel like you have to cut more stuff out though :( hang in there!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Guest j_mommy

What about refractory sprue????

Do you have symptoms?

I would also keep a journal of what you are eating to help identify anything that you may be missing!

Good Luck!

Join eNewsletter

What about refractory sprue????

Do you have symptoms?

I would also keep a journal of what you are eating to help identify anything that you may be missing!

Good Luck!

Refractory sprue! (slapping my forehead) That might unfortunately be the best explanation (which isn't too reassuring, of course).

Did you have another blood test? If it comes out negative, indicating that you are following a strict gluten-free diet along with extensive damage still happening in your intestines, that would likely mean refractory sprue.

Hopefully it is just something you missed in your diet.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

I was diagnosed in 2001. And I am really frustrated as I had been having some more problems [getting full very fast etc] so my doc did an endoscope AND colonoscopy [had some other stupid issues as well] and come to find out... i have TONS of sprue active in the upper intestine!!!!

HOW!!?????

i am soooooooooooooooo gluten free it isnt even funny.

WHAT do i do? where do i go? do i start over? do i have to just go back to SCD diet? Am i the only one this has happened to? I am SO frustrated!

What is getting by me in food labels? Will I NEVER get to go to a restaurant again? And to make matters WORSE... gluten free products [if you want to gauruntee the saftey of what you eat] are SO DANG EXPENSIVE!

im really at a loss.

:(

Sara

Join eNewsletter

Unfortunately, I experienced the same thing. Mine turned out to be dairy and soy that was also doing damage. :angry: Now I treat those two offenders just like gluten, and have eliminated them completely from my diet. Its not easy, but so necessary to completely heal.

Good luck! Gramma Bea

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter