Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I see that a lot of Celiac patients are obviously GLUTEN free but now I see that a lot of people are CASEIN free. Is that the norm? We're pretty new to this and I obviously want to do what's healthiest/best for my family.

Lisa

4.5 year old son d/x 12/07, son also d/x Crohns. husband dx 12/07

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think the two tend to go hand in hand, at least... for a while. I think the norm is that diary IS a problem while the intestines are healing, and some can reintroduce.

I've been totally dairy free for a week now, and it's difficult, but I'm noticing some positive effects, finally.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Join eNewsletter

While it is common for celiac to coexist with casein intolerance, they are separate conditions. Casein is the protein found in milk.

The ability to digest lactose (milk sugar) is affected by celiac. The enzyme lactase, which is required to break down lactose is produced by the villi. If the villi are damaged, lactase is not produced, causing lactose intolerance. This condition is usually temporary, since when the villi recover it goes away.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter